JPEG XL file format

Well it enables WIC so that you can use it in many apps and the os…so it initially was a thumbnail provider but it adds support beyond that…

I usually use Faststone but this one was mentioned… https://photoqt.org/

I tried it. Meh… Looks like a phone app running on the desktop. HUGE widgets, strange clumsy UI, IMO. Uninstalled. Nowhere near the level of FastStone nor XnView MP.

Thx…you saved me the effort… :slight_smile:

I wholeheartedly agree, Jon.

1 Like

I found this Firefox extension, but it doesn’t seem to work for me:

I tried it out here, but none of the JXL images are displayed:

https://jpegxl.info/test-page/

So far, it seems, Pale Moon is still the only web browser to support the format natively by default, (albiet minus animation or progressive decoding):

What a shame.

EDIT: Sorry; instead of ‘natively,’ I meant ‘by default.’

1 Like

Animations work for me in Opera.

The reason it isn’t working in Firefox is that Firefox, itself, was not built and compiled with the necessary library support. Firefox is capable of using JPEG XL, but only if it is built to do so.

Source: I asked why it didn’t work in the support forum for my distro, Arch Linux. That is what they told me.

@chaimav : That’s very true; most of the major browsers provide support to some degree behind a flag, but none as yet support the format both comprehensively and by default.

@Tim: That’s also very true; however, I was hoping that the extension would do exactly that (I must admit, I’m somewhat confused).

“The algorithm is described in a post titled “Open sourcing spotlight model” on Google’s open source blog… and here’s the irony, and that’s why the conditional mood was used in the previous paragraph. Because this feature uses the new JPEG-XL image format - the one Google has said it will remove from future versions of Chrome back in October.”

In my case, Google Chromy and Edge reopen jxl

JPEG XL and .webp support — all apps now support both import and export of JPEG XL and .webp files.

THis seems to work for me…

chrome://flags/#enable-jxl

Here’s where we are regarding browser JPEG XL support — from the man himself:

3 Likes

Safari to support JPEG XL? Well, that’s somewhat ironic! Great news nonetheless!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the last browser I’d have expected to be first with JPEG-XL.

1 Like

Amazing news! Now let’s see if it can properly handle HDR images. Currently, HDR AVIF images are not rendered correctly in macOS (highlights are clipped), unlike e.g. EXR images.

I might give one of the later public betas a try (and report any issues encountered).

I have just installed the second developer beta of iPadOS 17, and I can confirm that JPEG XL support is finally here :tada: with the built-in Photos app even displaying HDR images correctly. HDR support is now also there for AVIF (previously they were rendered as SDR).

There are still a few rough edges (as expected for a beta). For instance, Safari does not trigger the HDR mode yet for JPEG XL or AVIF files, and airdropping a JPEG XL file to the iPad does not open it in Photos. I have reported both of these issues.

Now that I finally have a device that can be used to conveniently show HDR pictures, I’ll now try to play a bit with Darktable 4.4 and start (re-)developing some pictures for HDR. All this ETTR may finally pay off :wink:

3 Likes

I really hope JPEG XL gets the full support it deserves. The only other format that my images look their best in is 16-bit tiff — which is a million percent larger in file-size!

On a side note, seeing as Thorium boasts full JPEG XL support, I’ve been giving it a whirl — it’s a great browser, fair play!

1 Like

Safari support for HDR JXL/AVIF seems to be on its way (at least the Feedback app now indicates a “Potential fix identified - For a future OS update”).

In the meantime, I have noticed (and reported) a few more issues: some performance issue (and possibly rendering bug) in Photos when using a PQ curve, and empty previews in Files.

That might be a good occasion to mention that Apple seems to prioritise popular reports as quantified by the “Recent Similar Reports”. So, if some of you have an HDR-enabled Apple device and can try one of the betas (possibly the upcoming public beta, which should be more stable that the developer beta), please file any JPEG XL-related issues in the Feedback app. It will increase their visibility and the probability that the issues get fixed.

3 Likes
3 Likes

JPEG XL just keeps getting better:

6 Likes

and with it jpeg as well. (through jpegli)
the whole blogpost is absolutely a must read.

2 Likes