JPEG XL file format

Here’s where we are regarding browser JPEG XL support — from the man himself:

3 Likes

Safari to support JPEG XL? Well, that’s somewhat ironic! Great news nonetheless!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the last browser I’d have expected to be first with JPEG-XL.

1 Like

Amazing news! Now let’s see if it can properly handle HDR images. Currently, HDR AVIF images are not rendered correctly in macOS (highlights are clipped), unlike e.g. EXR images.

I might give one of the later public betas a try (and report any issues encountered).

I have just installed the second developer beta of iPadOS 17, and I can confirm that JPEG XL support is finally here :tada: with the built-in Photos app even displaying HDR images correctly. HDR support is now also there for AVIF (previously they were rendered as SDR).

There are still a few rough edges (as expected for a beta). For instance, Safari does not trigger the HDR mode yet for JPEG XL or AVIF files, and airdropping a JPEG XL file to the iPad does not open it in Photos. I have reported both of these issues.

Now that I finally have a device that can be used to conveniently show HDR pictures, I’ll now try to play a bit with Darktable 4.4 and start (re-)developing some pictures for HDR. All this ETTR may finally pay off :wink:

3 Likes

I really hope JPEG XL gets the full support it deserves. The only other format that my images look their best in is 16-bit tiff — which is a million percent larger in file-size!

On a side note, seeing as Thorium boasts full JPEG XL support, I’ve been giving it a whirl — it’s a great browser, fair play!

1 Like

Safari support for HDR JXL/AVIF seems to be on its way (at least the Feedback app now indicates a “Potential fix identified - For a future OS update”).

In the meantime, I have noticed (and reported) a few more issues: some performance issue (and possibly rendering bug) in Photos when using a PQ curve, and empty previews in Files.

That might be a good occasion to mention that Apple seems to prioritise popular reports as quantified by the “Recent Similar Reports”. So, if some of you have an HDR-enabled Apple device and can try one of the betas (possibly the upcoming public beta, which should be more stable that the developer beta), please file any JPEG XL-related issues in the Feedback app. It will increase their visibility and the probability that the issues get fixed.

3 Likes
3 Likes

JPEG XL just keeps getting better:

6 Likes

and with it jpeg as well. (through jpegli)
the whole blogpost is absolutely a must read.

2 Likes

They keep making it better. “If you build it, they will come” - Field of Dreams

I’m hopeful with the continued development, it becomes supported in more platforms. I would like to export/maintain my library in the JXL, but right now if I want to share an image with anyone, I have to export it in JPG to ensure they can see it.

1 Like

Indeed; we can but only hope.

1 Like

Just noticed today that Finder, Quick Look and Preview (in macOS 14.3.1) have all added initial support for HDR when viewing JPEG XL files.

EDIT: nope, a bug related to some auto-brightness software (Lunar) seemed to incorrectly have triggered the HDR mode, and made the images “look HDR” by pushing the contrast, while highlights were still clipped :frowning: From now on, I’ll turn off this software when editing photos.

For anyone that’s interested:

In FireFox, the link takes me here:

https://d2x313g9lpht1q.cloudfront.net/original/3X/3/9/398e428f37ad54cb2a36a6631c199cfbe433dacd.png

which has no text.

This three year old post is probably it, not “new” though:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5829652105/jpeg-xl-image-format-promises-smaller-files-backwards-compatibility-and-more

Oops - just noticed how old this thread is, duh …

If you run Firefox Nightly, and you have the jpeg xl infrastructure installed, and you set the Firefox options to use it, you can display jpeg xl in Firefox. I have two of these (I’m not running Firefox Nightly), and I still can’t display them.

Sounds like a lot of work, though.

[edit] .jxl is not available in RawTherapee 5.8, but the GIMP 2.10.34 just opened one![/edit]

Didn’t know what that was, so, if anyone else is interested:

Earlier, after a long period of testing, its support in Google’s Chrome browser was abandoned due to “lack of significant benefits and community interest.”

https://giannirosato.com/blog/post/jpegli/

Google has published the JPEG encoder and decoder implementation for Jpegli on GitHub, for anyone interested in testing the new and advanced JPEG coding library.

libjxl v0.10.2 in Release v0.10.2 · libjxl/libjxl · GitHub

Those interested in testing can do so using:
XL Converter 0.9.9 XL Converter – Code Poems (2024-04-05)
XnView MP v 1.7.1

Interesting.

May I ask if you are/were involved personally with Jpegli’s development?