JPEG XL file format

Amazing news! Now let’s see if it can properly handle HDR images. Currently, HDR AVIF images are not rendered correctly in macOS (highlights are clipped), unlike e.g. EXR images.

I might give one of the later public betas a try (and report any issues encountered).

I have just installed the second developer beta of iPadOS 17, and I can confirm that JPEG XL support is finally here :tada: with the built-in Photos app even displaying HDR images correctly. HDR support is now also there for AVIF (previously they were rendered as SDR).

There are still a few rough edges (as expected for a beta). For instance, Safari does not trigger the HDR mode yet for JPEG XL or AVIF files, and airdropping a JPEG XL file to the iPad does not open it in Photos. I have reported both of these issues.

Now that I finally have a device that can be used to conveniently show HDR pictures, I’ll now try to play a bit with Darktable 4.4 and start (re-)developing some pictures for HDR. All this ETTR may finally pay off :wink:

3 Likes

I really hope JPEG XL gets the full support it deserves. The only other format that my images look their best in is 16-bit tiff — which is a million percent larger in file-size!

On a side note, seeing as Thorium boasts full JPEG XL support, I’ve been giving it a whirl — it’s a great browser, fair play!

1 Like

Safari support for HDR JXL/AVIF seems to be on its way (at least the Feedback app now indicates a “Potential fix identified - For a future OS update”).

In the meantime, I have noticed (and reported) a few more issues: some performance issue (and possibly rendering bug) in Photos when using a PQ curve, and empty previews in Files.

That might be a good occasion to mention that Apple seems to prioritise popular reports as quantified by the “Recent Similar Reports”. So, if some of you have an HDR-enabled Apple device and can try one of the betas (possibly the upcoming public beta, which should be more stable that the developer beta), please file any JPEG XL-related issues in the Feedback app. It will increase their visibility and the probability that the issues get fixed.

3 Likes
3 Likes

JPEG XL just keeps getting better:

6 Likes

and with it jpeg as well. (through jpegli)
the whole blogpost is absolutely a must read.

2 Likes

They keep making it better. “If you build it, they will come” - Field of Dreams

I’m hopeful with the continued development, it becomes supported in more platforms. I would like to export/maintain my library in the JXL, but right now if I want to share an image with anyone, I have to export it in JPG to ensure they can see it.

1 Like

Indeed; we can but only hope.

1 Like

Just noticed today that Finder, Quick Look and Preview (in macOS 14.3.1) have all added initial support for HDR when viewing JPEG XL files.

EDIT: nope, a bug related to some auto-brightness software (Lunar) seemed to incorrectly have triggered the HDR mode, and made the images “look HDR” by pushing the contrast, while highlights were still clipped :frowning: From now on, I’ll turn off this software when editing photos.

For anyone that’s interested:

In FireFox, the link takes me here:

https://d2x313g9lpht1q.cloudfront.net/original/3X/3/9/398e428f37ad54cb2a36a6631c199cfbe433dacd.png

which has no text.

This three year old post is probably it, not “new” though:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5829652105/jpeg-xl-image-format-promises-smaller-files-backwards-compatibility-and-more

Oops - just noticed how old this thread is, duh …

If you run Firefox Nightly, and you have the jpeg xl infrastructure installed, and you set the Firefox options to use it, you can display jpeg xl in Firefox. I have two of these (I’m not running Firefox Nightly), and I still can’t display them.

Sounds like a lot of work, though.

[edit] .jxl is not available in RawTherapee 5.8, but the GIMP 2.10.34 just opened one![/edit]

Didn’t know what that was, so, if anyone else is interested:

Earlier, after a long period of testing, its support in Google’s Chrome browser was abandoned due to “lack of significant benefits and community interest.”

https://giannirosato.com/blog/post/jpegli/

Google has published the JPEG encoder and decoder implementation for Jpegli on GitHub, for anyone interested in testing the new and advanced JPEG coding library.

libjxl v0.10.2 in Release v0.10.2 · libjxl/libjxl · GitHub

Those interested in testing can do so using:
XL Converter 0.9.9 XL Converter – Code Poems (2024-04-05)
XnView MP v 1.7.1

Interesting.

May I ask if you are/were involved personally with Jpegli’s development?

From a few other comments I’ve seen, part of the reason for this disparity is because the Google Research and Google Chrome teams are in completely separate organizations, and jpegli comes from Google Research.

Classic corporate “right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing”.

2 Likes

HaHaHa
If at 90 years of age you can be involved in something, then only in well-being

OK. At 84, I understand!

1 Like