Landing doves - help needed

DSC_0169.NEF.xmp (12.7 KB)

Tried to emphasize the birds even more. Kinda like a more dark tone.

Would someone tell me what steps to take in GIMP to export in a size suitable for posting?

Never mind, I exported a 12x9 image with print size 4x3, and it came out much darker than what I see in GIMP, but then I went back and exported a full size image, and it did the same thing. Problem lies elsewhere (maybe behind the keyboard).

I think the doves are the cool part of the picture, I personally prefer filling the frame with them

DSC_0169.NEF.xmp (22.1 KB)

Thanks, my crop is not as tight as others, allowing the scene to breathe. If you check the crop tool in xmp, and turn on golden mean guidelines, you will see how it all aligns nicely.

I’ve never used styles or LUTs in darktable, but they certainly have their uses.

Here is a link to the recent Bruce Williams video I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwmDqDabrU
The top comment by @rawfiner is also extremely helpful and clarifies a few things not covered in the video.
Search youtube for denoise darktable and you will find many other results.

If you just want to remove chroma noise, I like denoise (non local means) and turn luma down to 0.

1 Like

Inspired by “Winging It” series of Alan Schaller.

4 Likes

@Underexposed I looked up “Winging It” and thought it should get a link posted!

2 Likes

Good idea.

Thanks. What a fantastic forum here :blush:

3 Likes

Thanx. That’s one of very few episodes i have missed. I don’t know why …

Not helping. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

:grinning:. Interesting. I don’t really like the foggy / dust overlay thing. But this rock like look underneath is cool. Thanx.

I like b/w in general but I don’t seem to get it right. Especially in DT all my grayscale Images end up dull and boring. Maybe something to learn for the next lockdown …

Thanks. I am glad you appreciated it, and not, at the same time. The kind of response I wanted. :smile_cat: Call it computational and creative post processing.

The crop is from my algorithm for choosing an interesting focus and the effect is from playing with the fast Fourier transform. I like how the edge of the chimney is still showing, hinting that something is there but not showing it. The crisscross is due to the dominant lines; particularly the roof. The fog and crisscross evokes the terrible weather that non-humans encounter regularly, while us humans (not the marginalized) get to shelter under a roof.

1 Like

A whole bunch of modules thrown at the picture.

DSC_0169_05.NEF.xmp (34.5 KB)

Edits: I forgot to use denoise so I replaced the original image with a new one, but forgot to replace the xmp. Fixed.

1 Like

For someone who wants to study retouch, there’s a lot done here.

Nice and interesting crop :blush:

Looks like an old building covered in coal dust, nice

I thought about fft looking at your picture.
This algorithm about selecting interesting crops is cool. Can I read more about it anywhere ?

It is one of my private commands. Has been sitting there for a long time. Don’t think it is ready for public release. In the meantime, you can check out my Edge filter in GIMP-G’MIC (Testing/afre/Edge or afre_edge in CLI), which it is based on. Basically, strong edges are interesting areas. Here is the result without the FFT processing.

Used Gimp, my Fake HDR.

2 Likes