Learning with darktable

Thanks for making me aware of this possibility to change the background here on pixls. (“Learning …” is the title of the thread, I think …). But from the philosophy of darktable, I would believe we ought rather to opt for Grey, than Dark (?).

Yes, that would give a better surround.

I like the first one better for the colors.
Here below my edit where I adjusted a few values in the quick access panel: I prefer it with a tad more contrast, saturation and warmth.

20220925_0713_02.ORF.xmp (8,9 KB)

Sure, I used Landscape9.cube LUT from Landscapes LUT @ Free LUTs | Download Free LUTs for Lightroom, Photoshop, & More Online - ON1

1 Like

See

and
darktable zoom artefacts in darkroom (and Preview window artefacts due to low quality resampling · Issue #10899 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub)

The preview (in darkroom) is generated using the same code path as when export is scaled down, and high quality resampling is disabled. That is done for performance reasons. Sometimes, one has to zoom in to 100%.
It does not fix 10283, though.

And there are others, where the reason is not known (no dehaze, issue is visible without resizing / at 100% preview, some can reproduce, others cannot). An example is Darkroom view of processed raw image looks different from that of exported image · Issue #11741 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub.

1 Like

I usually have high quality resampling as without it some HDR photos get black spots in some photos especially in street lamps if I don’t use it. I think its when Haze Removal module was used. I might be able to still dig out an image that I can reproduct this issues everytime.

1 Like

20220925_0713.ORF.xmp (13.7 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for these pointers, @g-man. I sorely need to recalibrate my monitor - or my eyes :wink:

Hi @Rykzon and welcome.

Both photos are very well captured, well done.

I have walked the countryside for many years and like to see pictures which reflect what I retrospectively imagine I have seen whilst out walking. This is what I see here.

If I have a preference, is it slightly in favour of the second option because you have managed to bring out the rock detail in the shadows without losing much of the depth of the shadows.

Still in the process of getting reacquainted with darktable. Edit no. 2:

darktable 4.2.1 (17.4 KB)

1 Like

Very nice photo. My fun in GIMP

2 Likes

Very dramatic edit on the rock face… nice…

Very nice image, @Rykzon! I think I prefer the tonality in your second image, but possibly the colouring in the first… both good IMO.
I seem to be feeling a little vivid :grinning: - possibly as a reaction to the cold, damp and grey weather here at the moment. Sorry - it could be called overcooked!

20220925_0713.ORF.xmp (20.5 KB)

3 Likes

i like the mountains

Learning with darktable_20220925_0713.ORF.xmp (14.4 KB)

3 Likes

I tried to boost the greens.
20220925_0713.ORF.xmp (11.0 KB)

1 Like

Tried to use the vectorscope for color grading: tetrad at 103 degrees. Only had a wisp of red, though.
darktable-4.3.0+2181
20220925_0713_17.ORF.xmp (53.2 KB)

I find that to be the case with most of my post processing, though given the sheer numbers of differing versions in this topic I guess that isn’t all that surprising. Thank you.

This is my 1st reply since joining, so I hope I’m not out of line here. :hugs:

2 Likes

Monochrome version with ColorZones dragged to a different location in the pipeline and two exposure gradients.

20220925_0713.ORF.xmp (80.2 KB)

3 Likes

And to answer your initial question:
I like the second less yellow version better.

My ten-years ago me would have said otherwise. :woman_shrugging:

To my taste your initial proposal is one of the best.

For me just a bit more deep blue in the sky if you like it, like in the second.

But I liked the yellowish component of the grass in your first proposal, it seems to me more natual and similar to the fields we have here when the sun is shining.

May be you can apply the correction to the sky and mountain only, and let the botton as it was.