leaving the nest

This young black redstart probably left the nest for the first time. Its mother built it above the terrace of my in-laws where they frequently eat during the summer, probably with the idea of having a constant supply of food dropping from the table. The young bird rested for a while on a chair with a blanket on it, and I was able to capture it from an approximate distance of 30cm. Then its mother came to collect it and they flew away together.

The image above has minimal correction, in particular no sharpening etc. I am interested in removing the color cast from the bird; it has reflected light from the blanket and the whole area is under a large walnut tree, with green foliage.

P1002172.RW2 (23.0 MB)
P1002172.RW2.xmp (9.6 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

10 Likes

Looks like it’s baby redstart season :smiley: Dunno if you’ve seen this one: Young Redstart and his Mother

Great photo and cute bird. Also I was really impressed with this lens sharpness, it’s really good.

P1002172.RW2.xmp (9.6 KB)

4 Likes

I wasn’t there so I don’t know the actual color / lighting conditions (nor was I able to find an image online of an immature black redstart that looked like this one) so who knows if I’m anywhere near correct. I won’t even mention my lack of processing skills… :slight_smile:

But here’s what I did in ART 1.20.

P1002172.RW2.arp (12.1 KB)

To reduce the blue cast I used the local adjustment Color/Tone Correction tool in ART, specifically the … umm … color adjuster thingy … :slight_smile: (whatever it’s officially called):

2023-08-03 09_12_34-Clipboard

I didn’t mask the bird first but that would probably produce more accurate results (than a global adjustment). Then again, both bird and blanket were in the same light, so…

3 Likes

Thanks, would you mind adding an XMP for your edit?

The lens is the Panasonic 25mm/f1.7 prime which I am in love with.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t even notice I didn’t upload it. Edited the post with the sidecar.

It looks fantastic, and it’s so cheap, gives me GAS for a 4/3 system :smiley:

3 Likes

Loading the jpg as a sidecar should provide the details…many people just don’t know that so its not the end of the world if one forgets but it helps to have it I guess for people that aren’t aware…

3 Likes

As usual, my edit doesn’t seem to come out like anyone else’s, but I’m happy with it. dt4.4.2
P1002172.RW2.xmp (6.5 KB)

P1002172.RW2.xmp (6.5 KB)

2 Likes

P1002172.jpg.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

2 Likes

dt 4.4.2

P1002172.RW2.xmp (13,0 KB)

1 Like

DT 4.0.0

P1002172.RW2.xmp (12.2 KB)

1 Like

And another interpretation …

P1002172.RW2.xmp (11.9 KB)

1 Like

Tried to accentuate the feathers while keeping the bird dark, not sure I succeeded.

P1002172.RW2.xmp (20.7 KB)

1 Like

So, I have a question for the OP (@Tamas_Papp ): Is the bird blue or black? Not blue as in navy, but in some of these interpretations, it is showing as an almost light blue.

I think it is sort of grayish in real life. But I have hard time getting that back from this photo.

2 Likes

I got a fairly pure deep gray, almost black. Thanks.

1 Like

Playing with RawTherapee and GIMP

3 Likes