Libraw now supports R5 Mark II in beta

Hijack warning: I was wondering where I could ask this question on the forum and I guess here might do. I’m selfishly interested in trying to help to get the LUMIX G9ii working with DT (though maybe my question would generalise to any camera).

So I was fishing around yesterday on github to try to figure out how to speed things up. I see someone already submitted a set of RAWs almost a year ago and I think some data for white balance (I’m not 100% clear on that) also that noise data is probably needed for denoise (profiled). I saw a blog on how to create noise data. Still, I have little comprehension of how I would even ask on GitHub whether that’s useful or not or would just be replicating what someone else has already done.

Unlike this forum, it’s all a bit semaphoric and baffling for the uninitiated cos everyone there already knows what they’re doing. (This isn’t meant as criticism in any way). I don’t even know who I’m talking to on there.

I’m not expecting to be handed fish but could anyone point me in the direction of some instructions on how to fish?

Thanks

Normally, you can’t. You can ensure the raw files requested in camera support are available. But after that then there is a need of someone with 1) knowledge, 2) time, and 3) desire.

1. knowledge = know how to code, how to reverse engineer the raw
  2. time = life gets busy, they might have 9 other raw formats / cameras to support
  3. desire = the itch like someone calls it, the interest to work on it and share the work.

Unless you can do all those 3, there is not much you can do to speed it up.

1 Like

Thanks. :frowning:

Which issue is it in github? I’m not sure I see it.

This one?

Thanks

1 Like

Ah I see, the G9ii requires a new decompress or, so the files need to be reverse engineered. That’s what is taking so long.

1 Like

Ok. So I just have to wait then? I don’t mind that. I realise it’s probably anyone’s guess but would there be any sense of a timescale from what you see? I have used the darktablerc workaround for now but there are things like denoise profiled that just create a terrible mush in the shadows at the moment. That kind of defeats the object of the improved sensor. I just found a decent deal on the new camera but just need to decide whether to send it back within the next few weeks. I’m not going to abandon Darktable for the sake of a new toy. Thanks again

Not for the decompressor, you never know when someone with those 3 prerequisites will turn or step up to do the work.

However, since there is now a workaround in this particular case, as far as WB presets and noise profile goes, those could potentially be included in the next (Christmas) release.

Btw, as WB presets and noise profiles are just text files, it’s trivial to add support yourself (just copy the changes from relevant GitHub PRs), there is no rebuilding necessary.

2 Likes

I must be giving off stronger competence vibes than I deserve. How would I:

“just copy the changes from relevant GitHub PRs”

To give a sense of my ignorance, PR to me means public relations

It is indeed in the beta of their commercial offerings only.

Correct. They usually make it public/free months, even years after that. C’est la vie.

Offhand comment, seems to me the long pole in the tent is increasingly compression formats. For the most part, if new cameras have uncompressed options and a prior history of models with the same raw format, one can maybe early-adopt with configuration changes to an existing dt version. N’est ce pas?

I wondered about this, though sensor may have changed. How does one go about convincing DT the files are from the older version?

In the case of the G9ii, that probably won’t work.

Instead of thinking “I don’t have the skills to do this” why not think “I’m going to figure out how to incorporate new noise profiles” and then start trying and asking questions.

1 Like

I’ve already said I think I can do that noise profile thing from the blog, when I have time and assuming I keep the camera. I’ve been educating myself on noise reduction methods that I could potentially use for the period while DT doesn’t fully support the camera.

1 Like

Maybe. Depends. Sometimes, with a bit of luck. Not for recent Canons.

1 Like

One can only hope that rawspeed picks up CR3 support sooner or later.

1 Like

Responding to a few of your comments.

darktable is known as a lightroom replacement. That is how I found it by specifically searching for a lightroom replacement. You will find hundreds of pages mentioning darktable as the number one or two replacement for lightroom.

You write as if open source lives in a world on its own. Yes the open source license allows access to view code and freely download with some provisions for the privilege. It still competes in the real world along with commercial and other open source products. I am a big fan of darktable but feel they let the users down by not having quick RAW turnarounds. I know that must not be easy. Yes photographers are in the community. darktable should have by now established relationships with the professional photographers that purchase new cameras at each new release. To allow quick RAW availability.

You also write as if open source should be above criticism. They certainly deserve much leeway considering the number of camera manufactures and camera models. Its not infinite.

You misunderstand how FOSS works. Yes, technically, it “competes” for market share etc, but since this does not translate to money for developers, they are motivated by other things.

The bottom line is usually that no amount of pleading, cajoling, criticism, or comparisons to commercial software will get you features — at best they are ignored, at worst they are counterproductive. Instead, developers work on the features they want. You will either have to contribute, or wait. (Or you can offer a cash bounty for someone to do it.)

2 Likes

That’s just (your) wishful thinking. What does it say under the screenshot here?

This is usually not the bottleneck, as has been explained many times. Reverse engineering and coding always is.

Btw, people also complain because Adobe can take several weeks to support a new camera model after launch, and they have those relationships and NDAs in place, and plenty of resources too.

Yet, nobody slams the camera vendors for using closed, proprietary raw formats (and changing them at will). You bought/own the camera, but you’re prevented from accessing your raw data freely. Strange, no? Furthermore, people keep doing it and shelling out non-trivial amounts of cash for newest gear, whilst knowing full well that some brands are harder and take longer to support in open source apps.

Vote w/ your wallet/time/skills if you want to see changes, don’t expect developers working for free to do it for you. Reality check: you are not entitled to free stuff on demand.

6 Likes

Very important point. I fail to understand why major camera manufacturers don’t just publish a white paper with each iteration of their raw formats, at least the part that is sufficient to decode the images.

Yes, maybe it has some proprietary magic secret sauce they want to keep secret, but that is not possible or practical, as their competition has the resources to reverse engineer it easily.

1 Like