Line spacing in forum topics

It is silly but it is dead simple.

Indeed, I have encountered this and other annoyances. Maybe I should keep track of this stuff.

So where does this leave us? Wait for a theme change every time? Or take things into our own hands by typing inelegantly formatted posts? Or…

I’ve made a theme that has this change.

I just activated it and it works for me. I didn’t do it right away because @elGordo said that he didn’t see any difference. As before, I hope that there will eventually be a way for the user to customize the CSS within preferences.

I do now, but I have to go all forensic to detect it. the box model still shows the same dimensions for li items. In a new tab, I switched back to the fifty shades of grey theme, and when I switch back and forth between the new theme and the fiddy theme the line spacing visually seems the same. I positioned both tabs with the heading “The Big Ones” at the top, and the last visible line on the fiddy tab was “On OSX, load single images from command line or via drag&drop in darkroom mode”. On the new theme’s tab, the following line was approximately half visible. So (on my screen) that’s two headings and 30.5 lines of list items vs. two headings and 30 lines of list items. So it would appear that the change made a difference, but the difference was too small to be effective.

You may need to reload the page several times, or empty your cache and try again.

Did that. Also viewed the site in Firefox and Chrome on my Windows box, same result. Even fired up Edge, which I have never succumbed to doing before, and same result.

Margin adjustments will not change the box model dimensions, iirc.

@elGordo Inspect Element gives me:

Screenshot (there is text after this graphic).

If you hover over the left side of “margin-bottom:…”, you will see a check mark. Toggle it to see before and after. You can also change the value.

@afre, when I inspect the same li element in this post as you, I see the same results as you. However, when I hover a li element in the darktable post that caused me to start this thread, I don’t.

Here’s what I see over there (note that it comes from a different file):

I don’t see the proper class in the DT HTML. Do you see the change in this post?

Yes, for this post I see the change @afre showed. For the DT post I don’t.

@elGordo I see it:

@afre I finally see it on all posts when the “white li spacing” profile is in use. I had to (empty cache; terminate browser; start browser) several times in succession before this worked.

@paperdigits, could I lobby for:
.cooked li {
margin-bottom: 0.3em;
}
I think that might be the sweet spot.

Sure, it is done in the previously mentioned theme. You may have to repeat your voodoo to see it :wink:

1 Like

You did see the 0.3 in there, eh? :wink:

I did. Did you dump your cache and restart your browser?

Apparently not enough times yet! I am now back to the old behavior where no extra space at all is added! I’ll let you know when it’s all good.