Linux and Darktable

I must be doing something incorrect with my setup. I refuse to believe Darktable is better on Windows than Linux.

Im trying out Manjaro and after some fiddling got OpenCl up and running. But I got so frustrated today with the sluggish DT performance that i booted back to windows today to compare, and it was significantly faster. I’m a little bit baffled by that, so i suspect im running sub-optimal driver setup.

Tried both Nvidia driver 455 and now 450, but no difference. I suspected GPU driver as i could heat the GPU fan going into overdrive. Anyone else here with AMD Ryzen CPU and RTX GPU that could share their magic Driver recipe?

I installed the proprietary driver from the manjaro GUI and added a few more Opencl packages to get that part working.

Go to your Darktable settings, under GPU/Processing, you can select one of several OpenCL profiles. Switching these around can make an appreciable difference (I think you need to restart Darktable to see the effect).

You can run Darktable from the command line with “darktable -d perf” to get debugging information on how long individual modules take to compute, and whether they are computed on the CPU or GPU.

For what it’s worth, my Ubuntu 20.10 Linux box seems significantly faster than my 20.04 Kubuntu or Windows 10.

Manjaro settings / hardware configuration. Dump please.

And outputs from
darktable-cmstest
darktable-cltest
please.

If you’re running kernel 5.9 , then the GPU driver from nvidoa isn’t ready. Move back to kernel 5.8

I am on a Ryzen 9 3900X and a RTX 2060. Running Arch Linux. My current driver is 455.38. I have no “secret driver recipe”, but there are a couple of other modules that must be installed: ocl-icd and opencl-nvidia. Everything is running quickly for me.

1 Like

My system is now running openCL with kernel 5.9.2, since the nvidia upgrade to 455.38, yesterday.

Great, i set it to very fast GPU and that seem to have improved it. I use the XFCE version of Manjaro.

I’m on kernel 5.8

dt data .zip (89.9 KB)

Thank you.
You have a color management problem (darktable-cmstest),
but that has nothing to do with (lack of) speed.

Yeah, the DP-2 display i dont really care about, but I did install ICC profile for the main display (benQ) Not having quite figured out yet how to get rid of the X-atom/Color-D mismatch yet. I just set it in the Gui color manager in Manjaro.

Now a basic question perhaps: It says DT supports ColorD, si should I assume it takes the “BenQ PD3200U.icm” into consideration? Does it matter that i have two displays as long as DT is on my main BenQ display?

DP-4 the X atom and colord returned different profiles
X atom: _ICC_PROFILE (0 bytes)
description: (none)
colord: “/home/tore/.local/share/icc/BenQ PD3200U.icm”
description: BenQ PD3200U

Here:

Thanks,

Im on the XFCE version, this is the only i find in the graphical interface

https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/color

Thanks, I did indeed follow this. Still didnt apply to X-atom, but its probably not an issue. (I hope)

Well, it works in Manjaro/KDE, it works in Manjaro/Gnome.
But I have a faint memory that Anna (ping @betazoid )
complained about xfce’s disabilities… She has tested many
distros with respect to color management.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I am not sure what the question is… I am not using XFCE right now. Color management should be no problem though if you use a recent version of XFCE and have xiccd installed. However, I seem to remember that darktable is slower when running on XFCE than on a tiling wm or LXDE that I usually use. Should defeinitely not be slower that Windows though.

Thanks :slight_smile: Love your nick btw. It was basically just down to DT complaining my display profile is only added to Colord and not X-atom. I do have xiccd installed, but didn’t make a difference. My performance is much better though after tweaking the config.

But as this was just a test and I only gave root 20gb, I will reinstall anyway. Sound like I should give LXDE a try next round.

1 Like

You don’t need to care about colord, only X Atom needs to know the right profile.

You can tell darktable which one to use (colord or x-atom). The setting is in preferences > miscellaneous > method to use for getting the display profile. I don’t use colord and darktable works just fine.

Ahh ok, when I apply the profile trough XFCE color management its only added to colord. I tried with DisplayCAL after ready a forum thread which I think was by you, but I suspect i didn’t install it correctly (trough AUR), gave mea all sorts of errors when i tried to apply the profile.