Linux computer for processing photos

Calibration is not complex. You buy this and use displaycal (available via flatpak) to calibrate your monitor.

Calibrite Display SL (CCDISSL) Amazon.com

1 Like

Doesn’t do any hw calibration to the monitor.

You seems to be confusing calibration with the profiling.

Of course, rpmfusion works just fine. Until it doesn’t because it got out of sync with the kernel. With open source drivers (like for Intel or Radeon) no such extra steps are needed.

1 Like

Hello … I am a huge step closer to new computer … I am already planning a computer … I decided to go with AMD cpu and AMD GPU (RX 7600 XT) and I would love to additionally verify one thing …

I am a bit confused of GPU participation in processing with certain programs that support that … Based on what I have googled out they are supposed to use the GPU via some `opencl’ library … I’ve been googling a lot and found a lot of rants about that opencl for amd doesn’t work properly and others saying that it works instead … So my question is simple (they are actually two questions):

1. will amd gpu with rx 7600 xt work fully in Linux with that praised AMD driver ?
  2. will opencl work for me with above card (+ its native linux driver) ?

Programs that I use (and that I wanna boost) are

RT - it doesn’t use GPU
DT - it does via opencl ???
GIMP - there’s hidden feature to activate GPU … it sounds very scary … LOL :smiley:
Kdenlive - no idea how it works there and if it works … a lot of confusing results googled out, no idea if it is using opencl or something else

If you use the proprietary AMD driver openCL should work fine.

All the complaints about AMD drivers are about the open ones, which AMD can’t seem to commit to.

I have Radeon RX 6600 running on Fedora 39 with open source rocm driver:

$ rpm -qa|grep ^rocm
rocm-clinfo-5.7.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocm-comgr-17.0-3.fc39.x86_64
rocm-device-libs-17.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocm-runtime-5.7.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocm-opencl-5.7.1-1.fc39.x86_64
rocminfo-5.7.0-1.fc39.x86_64

Darktable recognizes this driver and processes photos much faster because of OpenCL:

2 Likes

A few remarks about me trying to use Nvidia on Linux:

• Proprietary drivers are more stable and/or easy to install and setup ;
  • Nvidia work well with X11 (almost out of the box) but not well with Wayland (in my experience) ;
  • Nividia does not like when the computer go to suspend/hibernation, I have to reboot the computer after this to have OpenCL to work (a common problem on Linux with Nvidia, it seems) ;

I do not color calibrate at the moment but from my research on Linux it is 1000× easier to do hardware calibration because otherwise you will have to ensure all the software you use are compatible (X11/Wayland, Nvidia driver, etc) and nothing is easy to setup here. Hardware calibration avoid using the OS for calibration (and also is more precise than software calibration).

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for input … I decided to go with AMD (both cpu+gpu) … I’ve heard a lot of praise about opensource radeon driver … only thing that I am considering now is to buy a cpu with integrated gpu to be able to run eventually a windows 10 VM and to be able to attach a dedicated gfx card (using pci passthrough) to windows VM to have native gpu/gfx performance in windows VM … regarding this plan I have to verify, if I can use a GPU (via ?opencl) from card that I will in reality not use for my X11 … You know what I mean - I will be running my entire desktop on cpu-integrated GPU and use dedicated pci gfx card only as a computing unit for graphical programs … but now I am thinking loud …

1 Like

Have you tried the solution here: OpenCL not available after 'suspend/resume' cycle. Is there an easy work around? - #16 by dtrtuser

It works for me.

1 Like

Leaving this here for future persons unknown. KDEnlive uses the MLT framework. This is the same as Shotcut and others. It’s a very capable backend but works in 8bit per channel and at 4:2:2. What that means is for most people is that it will create or edit videos in higher bit depths (10 bit and 12 bit depths). It’s like not having raw dngs to edit and only editing in jpg colours, for example.

There are people here working to change that situation which is awesome (@hanatos et al).

As far as GPU concerns go, both AMD and Intel are Linux friendly. Everyone knows that nVidia aren’t, but from my experience it’s a painless one with these days.

Also, excitingly the Intel Arc cards are looking better and better as the days weeks and months go by as are the Intel drivers. For instance the Intel Compute Runtime version 24.13.29138.7 only released 3 weeks ago has made big leaps so that is an interesting space for Linux driver development for sure.

2 Likes