Little Backup Box September 2019 update

Although I didn’t have a lot of spare time in September to work on Little Backup Box, I did manage to implement a few important changes and features.

Firstly, I improved support for OLED displays. Little Backup Box now works with 128x64 displays (128x32 are not supported), and Little Backup Box provides more useful feedback via the display.

Previously, changing the backup mode required editing the crontab file, which wasn’t particularly user-friendly. A new script makes it possible now to switch to a different backup mode using a simple GUI dialog.

Finally, you can edit the config.cfg file via Little Backup Box’s web UI. This can be done when the Remote control mode is activated.

Hi Dmitri,

Thank you for all the hard work you have done on this. its fantastic! i have got it all running with the backup to internal memory perfectly

I am unfortunately struggling to get the oled to work. I have done the exact installation procedure a few times. i am running on the pi zero w with a 128gb sd card,

i have tried both the experimental version and the standard version, and not getting any response from the oled. i have also ran the test scrips to no avail. i have seen an issue where i cant see the screen when running
sudo i2cdetect -y 1
i have tried this on different screens with the same results. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Dmitri

I think the decision to only support 64 line displays is going in the right direction. The 32 line display forces the messages to be short and some what cut down. The extra cost of the larger display is more than offset by the more useful information that can be presented to the user.

Thanks Trevor

1 Like

Hi Paul

Running sudo i2cdetect -y 1 should result in the following display on putty

pi@sd-backup-box:~ $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
     0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 3c -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
pi@sd-backup-box:~ $

If you get no output or an error message maybe the I2C kernel module is not loading properly or I2C tools have not loaded on your PI.

Regards
Trevor

Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the latest update, that adds some useful features for me (config editor). I tried been LBB a while back but had found the pi 3 really too slow to be effective for backing up up to 60GB from fast XQD cards and onto very fast SSD (no issue with the software). The Pi 4 made me look again with it’s faster USB 3 comms. I’ve just got it all working and the Pi 4 is a game changer. Over 47 GB backed up in just over 12mins or at least 5x faster than USB 2 allows. Plus, the USB C power input means it can all power off a small USB C powerbank and feed the SSD plus card reader. Very nice indeed. I used a nice aluminium case that acts as a passive heatsink to cool the (warm running) Pi 4 and it makes a tough, elegant device for backup on the go. Keep up the great work.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your help :slight_smile: I didn’t want to reply until I tested all the advise you gave, and did all the troubleshooting I can. Turns out I have the wrong chipset oled, and had a broken oled as well, hence the non detecting on the i2c. What i have done as i dont have time to get an oled, i have a led from pin 18 to be on while the card is mounted, as it gives a good indication of if a process is ruining. also going to help with the case i have made :smiley:

in internal-backup.sh

Set the ACT LED to blink at 1000ms to indicate that the card reader has been mounted

sudo sh -c “echo timer > /sys/class/leds/led0/trigger”
sudo sh -c “echo 1000 > /sys/class/leds/led0/delay_on”

#TO TURN LED ON
sudo sh -c “echo “18” > /sys/class/gpio/export”
sudo sh -c “echo “out” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio18/direction”
sudo sh -c “echo “1” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio18/value”

Shutdown

sync
if [ $DISP = true ]; then
oled r
fi

TO TURN LED OFF

sudo sh -c “echo “0” > /sys/class/gpio/gpio18/value”
shutdown -h now

Thanks for the great project :smiley: my dad is gonna be very happy :smiley:

2 Likes

Final project. Rechargeable lipo battery and 2 led indicators for power and status

2 Likes

Fantastic! By the look of it, it’s not a Raspberry Pi. What is it, then? I assume it’s a 3D-printed case? Have you designed it yourself? Would you mind share the source files? Would it be possible to tweak it, so it has a cutout and mounting holes for a OLED display (like this one: Amazon.com)? I have a spare one, and I could send it to you, if needed.

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Hi Dimitri

Ya I designed the case and 3d printed it. I can share the files and mod them if you like. It’s a very tight fit inside, with the lipo as well. It has a raspberry pi zero w inside, boost board, usb break out, and balance charger. Works well :slight_smile: no need to send me the screen, thank you I appreciate it, but with my postal service it will never arrive lol. I will try get one here in South Africa when I get a chance, as I want to build. One for myself as well.

1 Like

https://a360.co/2nDYqJY

Try this linkfor the files, it might work :slight_smile: if not I will upload them when I’m at my pc

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, could you post a photo of what it looks inside? Also, I have no idea what boost board, USB break out, and balance charger are. Could you explain what they are for? :smile: Sorry for asking so many questions, but I really like the box you’ve made!

Kind regards,
Dmitri

Hey bro. Not a problem at all :slight_smile:

Sorry this is the only one I got, will try get better ones when i can get it from my father. The boost board takes the voltage from the lipo, which can be 4 to 3.3v and boosts it up to a steady 5.1v. The charger board is there to insure a correct charging rate, and also to insure that the battery isn’t discharged below its correct voltage. The USB breakout is there so u can plug a standard USB card reader in. I hope that helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Internal shots of the box :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Impressive! Thank you for sharing your great work!

1 Like