Local adjustments - improvment of GUI - improve Wavelet pyramid

Oui bien sûr je comprends !
Petite précision, quand je disais :
“même dans les modules standards, certains ont des possibilités de masquage, d’autres non”
je parlais de masquage au sens large, c’est-a-dire autant les masques “standards” que l’on peut trouver dans certains modules globaux de RT, que le système RT-spot des retouches locales. Je proposais en fait d’étendre ce “masquage par spot” à TOUS les modules de RT !

… Ben oui on peut rêver :slight_smile:

Malheureusement (ou heureusement) le termes masque, reprend des concepts totalement différents. Par exemple il n’y a quasiment aucun point commun entre le “sharp mask” dans l’outil wavelet levels, et les masques dans “Local adjustments”…sinon le nom

Oui je sentais bien que j’avais un problème de terminologie. Je voulais dire masque dans le sens :
“Définir une zone dans l’image sur laquelle notre filtre sera actif”
Que cette zone soit définie par des spots, des paramètres, un gradient, une brosse, une combinaison de plusieurs de ces outils…

Un argument de plus pour un mode ‘basic’?
:slight_smile:

A small summary for non french-native people: @richal asks if there’s a possibility to have complex masks and layers in every RT tool, somehow. I would be really happy too if someday that is a reality.

@jdc suggests that it can already be done in the Local Adjustments tool by just applying a mask that includes the whole image, and work with it as if it was a layer (is this right?). As a workaround, it’s nice until the real layers and masks get implemented in RT.

But as it is a big task for the developers, perhaps it should be just an enhancement suggestion for version 6 (or later).

2 Likes

Hello Xavier

Jdc c’est moi

Bien sûr on peut utiliser “Local adjustments” sur l’image entière, aucun problèmes.
Ensuite on peut ou non, ajuster “transition”
Ensuite on peut on non ajuster “scope” et tenir compte du deltaE.

1 Like

Et je pense que c’est plus qu’un workaround.

Je crois sincèrement que beaucoup d’outils “commun” de RT pourraient à terme être supprimés, comme par exemple “Exposure”, celui présent dans “local adjustments” est supérieur dans toutes les conditions, et en plus il permet (en pleine image) de prendre en compte le deltaE (donc une discrimination couleur / luminance…)

@Wayne_Sutton

I just push a commit, with the great work of @Pandagrapher

Now you have in setting, a “toggle button” - Preview delta E", just near “Color preview selection dE
and Intensity”
Of course, it needs a tool to work :wink:

For me it works fine :slight_smile:

Jacques

2 Likes

Thank you @jdc and @Pandagrapher, I look forward to trying it out. I hope I’m not the only one that thinks this would be useful!

I know :wink:

But I think it’s better talking in English here.

As I said, this is a discussion for another thread, and maybe even for github. But there are some simple and common actions that must remain «a single slider action». If your algorithm is superior, then it should be discussed how to implement it in the general tool, but again, I think this is not the place or the moment to do that.

Let’s enjoy your tool as it is, for now.

4 Likes

Yes, I screwed up a bit yesterday, I promise I would not speak French anymore (except in exceptional cases) :wink:

jacques

2 Likes

I just “merge with dev”

Now you have in “newlocallab” the same improvements that have been made on dev for “wavelet levels” (big work with @XavAL), and of course the others improvments in RT since last merge :slight_smile:

I also update Rawpedia (in french)
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Adjustments/fr

jacques

2 Likes

I have just tried out the dE preview modification and everything seems to work as expected. To my way if thinking it is much easier to have the preview alongside the rest of the dE controls. I suppose there is a good reason why a tool has to be activated to be able to see the mask?
Wayne

@Wayne_Sutton
Yes, it needs one to be activated, at least to enable/change scope…

But the algorithm “deltaE” is not exactly the same (for preview), for “current tools” as Color and Light, Exposure, etc. and “special tools” ( who are nothing special) as Denoise or Sharpening which does not affect colors or luminance in the same manner.

jacques

@jdc understood, thank you

I’ve tested newlocallab branch a bit again and have a few comments. First the new workflow of adding tools to spots is great. I’ve yet to compile the preview discussed above but find the idea of easy preview of affected area a good idea. Exaggerating the settings to see affected areas are less attractive workflow.

1. A major usabiilty improvement would be to be able to move the center spot independently of the ellipse/rectangle. Frequently I decide i need to move the spot and then I have to re-adjust several or all of the nodes to get the area back to where it should be.
  2. Perhaps using the more common corner nodes for shapes would speed things up.
  3. The spot management takes up a lot of gui. Perhaps the standard layer management icons and actions would make things more compact and recognizable. Think Gimp or Blender outliner. eye icon, double click to rename etc. Blender uses the same methods for non layer objects.
    2020-05-14-221645_2560x1440_scrot
    By adding two + icons one could have add ellipse and add rectangle as separate buttons eliminating the second step of changing the type of shape. if more shapes become available more buttons can be added. ( up to say 5 or so)
  4. The “Exposure - Dynamic range compression” tool has an extremely sensitive exposure slider. I mostly use values below 0.5 which is the first step whilst using the ± buttons. This means I have to input values. Perhaps my use case is unusual but it seems the sensitivity of the slider is scaled wrong?
  5. Perhaps the tool should default to on after adding the tool to a spot? There are so many buttons and sliders that the on off button is easily missed. Perhaps I should try another theme.
  6. The order of the exposure tool seems wrong to me. Scope etc is at the top of the tool whilst the actual exposure controls are folded and located below. I’d expect the main action to come first (exposure) adjustments of scope etc afterwards. As you can’t see the effect of scope before you touch the tools.

Thanks for the great work!

2 Likes

@nosle
I just push a commit in “newlocallab2”
I change the behavior of the slider “exposure compensation”

New limits : -1.5 +1.5
And between -0.6 to 0.6 increse sensitivity

jacques

@nosle
Other improvment, I have yesterday, change the place of “exposure compensation” in the GUI

jacques

2 Likes

The GUI start to be very nice with the last improvements. May I suggest one think?
Is it really mandatory to have the “scope” button in every tools? I would prefer and find more convenient to have it in the common section, next to the “preview deltaE” putton.
Indeed, if I use several local tools in one spot, I always use the same scope parameter. But probably it is not the case for everyone…

@cabernet_olivier

For the scope.
intuitively your proposition seems satisfying to the user.

But there is a lot of “but”

If you look at others tools than “color tools”… for example Retinex, wavelet,… (I can only encourage to use wavelet…for me the best tool), Scope is different, otherwise they don’t work.

So, I think we will leave it as it is

Thank you

Jacques

2 Likes