Looking for samples - smartphone DNGs with embedded GainMap

There are actually some new fields introduced in Apple ProRaw, aka DNG 1.6: New DNG specific tags introduced in DNG 1.6

1 Like

Interesting. We definitely donā€™t need Appleā€™s local gains applied to raw files though.

Why do they use own tags instead of putting them in an opcode list?

if you search for opencamera, open camera, Honor in raw.pixls.us youā€™ll find some phone dng i have uploaded.

According to this explanation in the Bridging the Algorithm Gap section, the new Profile Gain Table Map tag represents the local tone mapping that the camera app applied when it produced its jpeg output, so that the same tone mapping can be used as a starting point for editing the raw. It works similarly to the GainMap that is used for correcting lens shading, but for a different purpose and would never be mandatory to apply like the GainMap is.

1 Like

RAW data is usually stored in the DNG file format, which stands for Digital Negative. Some camera makers have their own formats, but those companies are jerks.

What a nonsenseā€¦ Also DNG is not Negative at allā€¦ Itā€™s more like a Positiveā€¦

Nonsense as well. Neither positive nor negative. Could be raw, could be moreā€¦

Some camera makers have their own formats, but those companies are jerks.

That was the part I was refering to as nonsense.

Ah, right, apologies :blush:

1 Like

What happened with 10289? It seemed almost finished.

I was waiting until the 3.8 release was done, and havenā€™t gotten back to itā€¦ I need to update the branch to make sure it still works with the latest master, itā€™s been a couple months.

Iā€™m still not sure if applying this correction in the rawprepare module is the right approach - might be easier to do it in the rawspeed library before it gets into the darktable pipeline, because that library already has the ability to apply DNG opcodes from OpcodeList2. Currently thatā€™s only used to support lossy DNGs and it doesnā€™t have the GainMap opcode, but itā€™s easy to add the opcode.

Also need to figure out what to do about the DJI mavic mini2 dng posted above, where the GainMap was in OpcodeList3, to be applied after demosaic.

1 Like

Well if it ever makes it in I will certainly make use of itā€¦Your intermediate solution works fine with DNGpreprocess but its takes work that would be nice to avoid.

I do get lazy and often just use the lens profile for the Huawei P10ā€¦it does a nice job on that massive vignette present in the Pixel 3a raw filesā€¦

I uploaded my Pixel 6 images quite some time ago and I still donā€™t see them available. Does someone need to manually approve them, and if so is anyone currently doing it?

That is indeed the case.

I received no feedback of any kind. Is this project currently orphaned?

Iā€™m not sure, but I think @LebedevRI is the master of https://raw.pixls.us. Perhaps pinging him here helps. Perhaps he is just busy.

No it isnā€™t orphaned and you donā€™t receive any feedback if your images are accepted/rejected.

Its a smartphone and a DNG so likely also not falling high on the priority list. I donā€™t think any of the pixel phones have anything beyond basic support as a DNG and what can be read from the dataā€¦Adobe Camera Raw does have a DCP files for some of themā€¦not much good for DTā€¦ short of the gain mapping not being applied my pixel 3aXL DNG seem to be handled fine in DTā€¦

Which is quite unfortunate, as people may be willing to resubmit if it was clear what went wrong. I e.g. submitted a sample for the missing canon powershot a620 a couple of months ago, and if there was some issue with the sample, I would be happy to submit again, but I donā€™t know what went wrong. It was a shot of a color target, and the same shot with another camera, same day upload, was accepted. The camera is still within the list of missing samples.

I wonder if it would be feasible to have a list of rejected samples with date of submission, date of rejection, camera model, and reason of rejection, which avoids to collect addresses of people for feedback but gives a chance to resubmit.

Furthermore, there is no comment on raw.pixls what is expected for smartphone cameras, which would also be nice to have.

2 Likes

We are open to improvements, the code is php!