Looking for workflow advice with 3FR files from a hasselblad X2D

Hi;

I joust bought a new Hasselblad X2D, unfortunately darktable does not yet support the 3FR files from the X2D, I can use the linux command line convert to create a TIFF file, and it seems rawtherapee supports the 3FR format.

Looking for suggestions / advice for a workflow. Will I loose quality / capabilities if I use the linux convert command to create TIFF files and import the TIFF’s into darktable?

Thanks in advance

According to ImageMagick’s documentation (I assume that’s where the convert command cubes from), it actually uses dcraw to process the raw.

See Common Formats -- ImageMagick Examples

Because ‘-w’ and ‘-4’ are the only two image processing flags specified, there are some defaults that dcraw will use. The output colour space will be sRGB and no ICC profiling is done

So, you woulll be probably better off invoking dcraw manually.

On Hasselblad’s forum, RawTherapee and ART are mentioned as both supporting the format. I think they would probably be your best options.

Also, if you want to process the files using darktable, maybe you could try first converting to DNG, and opening that in darktable.

Work is in progress.

darktable (RawSpeed really) has no problem w/ 3FR either, but one needs the input color matrix for the particular camera model (as do RT and ART).

1 Like

@psalm19pix
I remember an old forum thread that offered an easy way
out of this problem: do not convert the .3fr file into .tiff
instead just rename it from .3fr to .tiff

Read the entire thread: raw files (.fff) from a Hasselblad-Flextight Scanner are not recognized by rawtherapee - #9 by Claes

Easy to test, right?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

OMG! it works, and the colors straight out of darktable are awesome

See the attached (reduced sized) jpg, I simply renamed the .3FR to a .TIFF, opened it in darktable, changed the white balance via a shot I took of a white card the night of the shoot and tweaked the exposure slightly…

3 Likes

Am I understanding this right?
Hasselblad raws are already (in camera) demosaiced?

Seems to be.

However I dod notice something odd with this approach. If I open a .3FR file in RawTherapee it imports as a100 MPX file with a size of 11896x8834

However if I simply rename the .3FR file to a .TIFF and open in darktable then it imports as a file size (image size) of 3888x2918 and if I then export to a full size jpg I also get a 3888x2918 file

Anyone have any thoughts?

Are you sure you don’t open the thumbnail in darktable?

Can you upload a raw sample? Perhaps 7zip it before?

Here is the original file if you are interested (creative commons license):

Yes, you’re getting just the embedded preview. You can make the changes to cameras.xml as in the linked PR above instead and feedback please.

Btw, no need to waste bandwidth with these huge files and kill more trees as you have already uploaded a sample at RPU.

1 Like

Not quite sure where I would change that, would it be to change these lines and set width=“11896” height=“8834”?

<CFA width="2" height="2">

If you take a closer look, you’ll see you need to add a whole new section for the new camera.

Edit: Already created by @kmilos

What you need to do is to create this part in rawspeed/cameras.xml at develop · darktable-org/rawspeed · GitHub

You will need the colour matrix and black/white levels

Please do not add uncertainty. It’s all in the PR already.

Oh, thanks! Then it just is just copy/paste from the PR. Hasselblad X2D 100C support by kmilos · Pull Request #463 · darktable-org/rawspeed · GitHub

That documentation is no longer accurate.

It depends on how IM is built. Most modern builds include the libraw library, and IM uses that to demosaic files. If IM doesn’t include libraw, it will use dcraw. Failing that, it uses ufraw-batch.

The libraw package includes the program dcraw_emu, which works like dcraw but with extra options. IM never uses that, but could be made to do so by adding a suitable entry in delegatres.xml.

I have found that dcraw_emu can read some modern formats that dcraw can’t.

Most raw camera formats (such as Nikon’s NEF files) are actually TIFF formats. After renaming a raw file to .tiff, software will read a preview image, which is often JPG, and has fewer pixels than the mosaiced image.

2 Likes

I added some comments to the PR with this info:

$ exiv2 -pt B0000050.dng| grep BlackLevel
Exif.SubImage1.BlackLevel Rational 1 4267/1
Exif.SubImage3.BlackLevel Rational 3 51/1 51/1 51/1
Exif.SubImage4.BlackLevel Rational 3 51/1 51/1 51/1
Exif.SubImage5.BlackLevel Rational 3 51/1 51/1 51/1

$ exiv2 -pt B0000050.dng| grep CalibrationIlluminant2
Exif.Image.CalibrationIlluminant2 Short 1 D65

$ exiv2 -pt B0000050.dng| grep ColorMatrix2
Exif.Image.ColorMatrix2 SRational 9 6468/10000 -1899/10000 -545/10000 -4526/10000 12267/10000 2542/10000 -388/10000 1276/10000 6096/10000

I imported 1 .3FR image into lightroom, then exported it to a DNG file, thats the file I used for the grep’s above

I dod not edit the cameras.xml or any other code in the github site

I hope this helps, please let me know if I can provide any added info and THANK YOU to everyone who makes darktable such an awesome tool

Thanks, but there is no new information there (I have already converted using Adobe DNG Converter, so same info as Lightroom).

Aah, ok. is there any info still needed that I can provide?
would more image uploads be helpful?