Lots of raws to process -- How to minimize impact on computer?

Batch operations from the command line are possible, just point art-cli.exe at a directory rather than at an individual file. The selection criteria for the batch op is then just whatever’s in the directory.

I do loads of batch processing, eg from frames of videos, mostly using ffmpeg and ImageMagick. I’ve never used art-cli.exe.

On my Windows 11 laptop, and previously with desktops, this leads to lots of fan-noise. This has never been a problem. Just ensure the vent holes aren’t blocked, eg by accumulated dust. If a job takes my computer all night to process, then it does, no problem.

The Windows start command can run a program or batch file at a low priority. If the computer isn’t doing other work at the same time, then this makes almost no difference to anything. Putting work at the back of the queue, when there is no queue, makes no difference.

Some software (eg ImageMagick) contains facilities to throttle CPU usage, and limit the number of threads. These can be set in policy.xml. These settings will reduce the CPU heat.

I can’t find a Windows setting that can, for example, limit a process to 25% of CPU usage.

If desired, pauses can be inserted between intensive commands in a batch job to allow the CPU to cool down. But if the fan still needs to run during the intensive commands, there isn’t much point. The temperature cycling may even be slightly detrimental to the hardware.

1 Like

Sorry about my previous, terse reply – I wanted to help but had little time. I have more now.

First and foremost, I’m sorry about your loss.

As for the embedded JPGs, besides dcraw, one can use e.g. exiftool (since it’s really about headers and metadata, not about the raw file itself). The man page of exiftool provides these examples:

exiftool -b -ThumbnailImage image.jpg > thumbnail.jpg
        Save thumbnail image from "image.jpg" to a file called "thumbnail.jpg".

exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw -w _JFR.JPG -ext NEF -r .
        Recursively extract JPG image from all Nikon NEF files in the current directory,
            adding "_JFR.JPG" for the name of the output JPG files.

exiftool -a -b -W %d%f_%t%-c.%s -preview:all dir
        Extract all types of preview images (ThumbnailImage, PreviewImage,
            JpgFromRaw, etc.) from files in directory "dir", adding the tag name
            to the output preview image file names.

exiv2 also provides this functionality, using the command:

ex | extract
          Extract metadata to *.exv, XMP sidecar (*.xmp) and thumbnail image files.  Modification commands can be applied on‐the‐fly.

The command also takes a ‘target’ argument:

‐e   tgt  ‐‐extract Extract target(s) for the ’extract’ action.

Where

tgt       a | c | e | i | p | t | x | C | X | XX | ‐
             all, comment, exif, iptc, preview, thumb, xmp, ICC Profile, SideCar, RawXMP, stdin/out

An example in the man page:

$ exiv2 -et img1.jpg img2.jpg
   Extracts the Exif thumbnails from the two files into img1-thumb.jpg and img2-thumb.jpg.

Actually, I added the -f switch as recommended by @agriggio, resized to HD and it didn’t take long to run. No problems!

The earth-shattering results of my images and playing around with Shotcut – https://youtu.be/_EPgIMQgKVo

Obviously I have lots to learn. That is was a time lapse of opportunity, but rain was setting in, dinner was waiting and there were other tasks so it was a one-shot opportunity.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you.

@lphilpot sorry to hear about your loss.
For giving Windows the needed power you may want to switch on the ultimate mode, which is preinstalled, but needs to be activated.

1 Like

That’s great! I was hoping you’d share. Good job IMO.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like