Mask the model to change the background color

ON1 works okay. Though I don’t use it much… I think its a bunch of edge aware stuff and not so much AI at least in the 2022 version I have…its a bit more advanced in the latest one… For ON1 you take a brush and draw strokes very roughly over areas to keep and areas to remove and then it calculates a mask. From there there is a refine brush and a chisel brush that you can use on the edges if you get halos. This does help when your run it over hair to clean it up…I think the brushes are refinements or versions of what they call the perfect brush which is an edge aware tool…if I get some time I will post an example for comparison but in this case for example @s7habo Boris’s mask was pretty good and funny enough even the blue channel alone did a lot of work but it really helped with the hair… in this case I am not sure the ON1 mask will be better but maybe faster?? The new version is more sophisticated than what I have…it also identifies items in the photo that you can automatically select as tags…

actually mask sharing between modules in DT works by sharing raster masks. So all you would need is loading external Alpha channel files as masks into darktable. I can not imagine that this would be really all that hard.

1 Like

Some tools as Exposure X7 have some sort of edge detection where user select areas to keep or ignore, a mix of draw masks and brushes to refine the selection, but I don’t think it is AI at all.

1 Like

One more quick go with Lr, as asked here: My first Play Raw - #25 by Colin_Adams

Not bad.

3 Likes

due to the quite homogeneous background that’s not a big job for AI. I doubt adobe would have released an AI function not able to cope with such simple jobs since separating subject and background is for sure a major task

There’s a bit of leakage of the background into the subject though.

1 Like

don’t expect magic from AI

I didn’t.
In fact, I didn’t expect it to work at all, seeing as presumably flying dragonflies were not included in the training set to any degree. Maybe it is just working by edge detection.
Anyway, it was much better than I expected.

GIMP - AI Remove image background (use rembg) => remove_background.py

1 Like

GIMP - AI Remove image background
GIMP - AI Remove image background (use rembg)

2 Likes