Mechanical of death

The latter with the sky of the second one… :slightly_smiling_face:

I kind of like this contrasty version that I came up with…but it might be too much…

16211133_03.NEF.xmp (12.0 KB)

Edit:

Fair comment @lightlover …same edit as above just a bump in the sky with the tone eq…I think it looks better…

2 Likes

My last edit… new sky …

16211133_05.NEF.xmp (20.7 KB)

2 Likes

Let me explain. To me, there are 4 main aspects to this photo to which to pay attention:

1. People - keep in middle tones and protect from extreme edits
  2. Truck body - make gloss and chrome luxurious (in a car manner)
  3. Dust/grit - texture (and lower visibility) of course!
  4. Sky - bright but not overblown or without detail

For my part, I left them apart on purpose as most of the change in the edit came from the different approach and settings that I used in filmic…I was just really experimenting with no real targeted strategy other than what was pleasing to the eye…So for sure they are not one comprehensive strategy and or edit but really just meant to show the different looks I got by tweaking filmic…The one in my last post had some masking and sky replacement using the watermark module and lots of contrast everywhere…its an in your face edit again that came from just “playing” around rather than a crafted editing strategy…

What I meant was that your four images captured each of the aspects, so if you combined the four, you would get the best result. Anyway, just thinking aloud. :blush:

1 Like

The only thing I dislike is the sky color, however I like this the best because of the grissly contrast.

Me too :slight_smile:

Ya I think its a bit dark. Its a replaced sky and I can’t recall where I set the opacity…It is much darker at 100% and it can get much lighter…I think I left it around 50 or 60 % as in the moment it looked quite moody…but it is one of those things to go back and take a second look and revisit…in the end just messing around anyway…thanks for your opinion/comments

Throwing everything I said out the window. My take:

Hi @FalCT60,
your action packed picture inspired me to a more punchy edit :facepunch:t2: :wink:

DT 3.9 master

16211133.NEF.xmp (61.2 KB)

2 Likes

I made a typo in my previous attempt, which gave the interesting B&W output. Now a colour rendition, again, breaking the rules:

Basically:

• PhotoFlow: basic raw corrections, linear Rec2020
  • gmic: use red structure, inverse norm softlight, increase lightness, forward softlight, resize

Could’ve:

• local contrast: but my computer is slow
  • masking, local adjustment: sure but no GUI, so only global
  • sharpening: definitely would have helped

PS - Oh, I know why it is softer. I used RCD demosaicing. I forget that RCD may also be broken in PhotoFlow; i.e. there may be artifacts.

3 Likes

Another fun take. :slight_smile:
(Super pixelated because it is a screenshot from G’MIC’s unsophisticated preview display.)

Hello Todd,
No - I even did not remember about it.
I will go and have a look.
Thanks.

Hello,
I think I shot from 20~30 metres from the vehicles.

Wow !