Megabytes per Megapixel (MB per MP)

Yes and no - you can backup to a share, FTP or friend’s NAS over S3, even to your own USB if you want. But for the cloud - I am not aware of someone offering free cloud storage. Recently I read about this one https://www.storj.io/ maybe a good option if you have limited need. I have not tested it however.

You are right. Upgrading my camera is on the far dream list for now. I am just doing my best to continue dreaming. For now I will continue squeezing whatever is left in my current one and enjoying the photos even if they are likely regular or ordinary for many :slight_smile:

It would be cool to have p2p backup, under ng something like the protocol that syncthing uses to discover its piers, to share backup space among people at home. Probably not the most reliable…

From what I read (if I understood correctly) storj.io is something like that. In a sense that the backup is distributed among many nodes and participants can rent space to others. It is possible to have backup sharing (I have not done it) but if the NAS of uses have standard sharing like S3 then the users have free DNS like duck dns - for a limited implementation it would work (I “expect” it would work). But when it is at scale - it would be quite different thing.

Yes, but with a blockchain and a shitcoon attached to it, which makes it really undesirable.

2 Likes

Part of my backup strategy is to sync my home server backup folder to my brother’s server using Syncthing in send-only mode (this is the “disaster level recovery” copy, 10000km away).

1 Like

At least your pictures will be safe if an asteroid obliterates your continent :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Note that the mechanism by which the Pi (and actually all CSI cameras) pack 12-bit data is completely different than DNG packing, which is why it usually gets unpacked and saved out as uint16 in most workflows.

1 Like