Metadata in WebP (and PNG, would be nice)

Yep, I just downloaded and inspected the exiv2 tar.gz, and it’s precompiled binary points to its own libexiv2.so. Now if you followed their install instructions, it put binaries and libraries in /usr/local, but that by itself doesn’t point the regular darktable at them. You have to do some library work, with ldconfig…

At that, I don’t think I’d try to make your package-installed darktable point to a later version of exiv2. It’s expecting to see the 0.25 binary interface, and will probably not start. I’d get the darktable 3.0.0 source and compile it, so it can see /usr/local…

Whatever you do, don’t try to put the 0.27 library files in the system location, over the 0.25 libraries. If the binary interface is not the same, all the other software that depends on exiv2 will also not work…

Edit: Anyone else out there, more familiar with CMake, please weigh in with something simpler. It took me two years to figure out the ./configure GNU tools, and CMake is driving me nuts…

1 Like

Okay, after a lot of effort, (relatively a lot), I compiled DT and everything now seems to work. It appears that all of the programs in the 18.04 repositories all use exiv2 version 0.25.x.

Now to re-compile gThumb, et al, so that I can actually see the metdata! :wink::laughing::grin::grinning::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hopefully the problem will go away after my Ubuntu 20.04 upgrade in May.

Thanks to everyone who helped. You were all great!

1 Like

That’s the rub with using the OS packages - not always current to our needs. Also, I’m not convinced they’re compiled with the best switches, like threading…

2 Likes

And that among other reasons is why I’m using Gentoo :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, after a lot of effort, (relatively a lot), I compiled gThumb, and everything now seems to work.

DT is producing metadata for WebP, and gThumb is showing it. Will be happy with that for now.

Thanks, again, everyone. I really appreciate the help.

I had considered coming off of the LTS versions of Ubuntu, but sometimes the STS versions have issues with my older hardware. I should just upgrade my HW and be done with it. :wink::laughing::grin::grinning::smile:

2 Likes