Midi Controller for Darktable

Yeah, like using (pitch) bending for (color) banding. :grin:

@houz

…About keyboard shortcuts for darkroom modules, for me it works.

Awesome! How did I not see this??? I think this should help my fast paced processing environment. I think I could map the analog sticks vs the basic color correction modules. Thank you for this… :slight_smile:

…but harnessing the power of MIDI is a whole other level

Yes, If rightly done, It sure will take the mass post production to the next level.

(Food for thought - I do have an old Thrustmaster TMX Force Racing wheel. I think I can map the accelerator to the denoiser module and the brake to the Temperature module so that I can use both my forelimbs and hind limbs for photo processing ! :smile: )

1 Like

btw, in general I am always interested in ways to help move things along for the community in general. So if we decide it would be fun to buy a controller for the devs, then count me in (both management, setup, and monetary). As @paperdigits mentioned, color targets was one idea as well. I thought about buying a few and having them as rotating loaners in the community. Is that something folks might be interested in?

Heck, if everyone active here on discuss pitched in like $1 USD, we could buy that fancy palettegear pretty easy I’d think. But @houz would have to take a photo modeling it for us… (darnit! I was just totally going to post a funny photo of houz from the LGM photowalk in London, and now I see I didn’t get any!).

Funny pictures? Of me?

Well, ok. Here we go. Not the photo walk, but still LGM. Now you tell me who’s the model here …

2 Likes

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :astonished:

Touché you magnificent man! Now I’m gonna have to dig quickly for my riposte!

Well, my more serious answer would be, should someone try to collect money for such hardware I would suggest going for a regular MIDI device that is already supported by Linux. Adding support to darktable would be enough work already, reverse engineering USB protocols and writing a kernel driver would be too much work.

Do you have some recommendations? Would one of these KORG nano* be fine? I guess if every dt user [TM] would give $3, we could slightly pass the $50 and afford one of these ;-). Wait, I’ll do the math, it would be exactly $51 :smile:

Very good, you did your homework and know how many users we have. :slight_smile:

A quick google search indicates that the KORG nano* should work under Linux.

Yes I would definitely be up for it.
A suggestion, why doesn’t Pixls have a central ‘fund’ we can donate small amounts to, for things like this when they come up.

2 Likes

After all the talk about a MIDI controller for darktable I think I will start building one myself with an Arduino. Sound like a fun little project.

4 Likes

Oh my: http://www.loupedeck.com/

1 Like

That’s where I already got some inspiration from for the thing I want to build. Of course it won’t be as flawless but the functionality might be similar. I already ordered some sample chips and will bug @andabata once I got stuck. :smiley:

I bought a behringer bcf-2000 second hand for use with lightroom but hoping to be able to use it with dt some day

Short update: The first batch of parts to experiment with (Arduinos, rotary encoders, linear faders, buttons, LEDs, …) is ordered and about to be delivered soonish. I’ll keep you posted.

3 Likes

And another update: The Arduino and the I2C GPIO chips are still not here. However, pixls managed to collect some money and BOUGHT A KORG NANOKONTROL2! How cool is that folks? The community managed to bribe me into writing Midi support for darktable! :joy:

More news will follow once that thing is here (Amazon estimated Friday).

7 Likes

Well shit, I haven’t even donated yet!

That’s why we didn’t get those fancy palettegear blocks. :slight_smile:

Great news! :slight_smile:
Is it possible to work in Kdenlive, Krita and GIMP with it then?
That would awsome. Especially in Kdenlive.

Palletgear was supposed to hook me up with a hardware api, but never did. I’d rather have generic midi support though :wink:

1 Like

You’d need to take it up with the developers of each application. I’m not sure what I’d do with midi support gimp or krita, both have good wacom/tablet support, which I think is a better input device for those applications. But I wouldn’t want to use a wacom in Darktable, it doesn’t make a lot of sense!