Midi Controller for Darktable

Very good, you did your homework and know how many users we have. :slight_smile:

A quick google search indicates that the KORG nano* should work under Linux.

Yes I would definitely be up for it.
A suggestion, why doesnā€™t Pixls have a central ā€˜fundā€™ we can donate small amounts to, for things like this when they come up.

2 Likes

After all the talk about a MIDI controller for darktable I think I will start building one myself with an Arduino. Sound like a fun little project.

4 Likes

Oh my: http://www.loupedeck.com/

1 Like

Thatā€™s where I already got some inspiration from for the thing I want to build. Of course it wonā€™t be as flawless but the functionality might be similar. I already ordered some sample chips and will bug @andabata once I got stuck. :smiley:

I bought a behringer bcf-2000 second hand for use with lightroom but hoping to be able to use it with dt some day

Short update: The first batch of parts to experiment with (Arduinos, rotary encoders, linear faders, buttons, LEDs, ā€¦) is ordered and about to be delivered soonish. Iā€™ll keep you posted.

3 Likes

And another update: The Arduino and the I2C GPIO chips are still not here. However, pixls managed to collect some money and BOUGHT A KORG NANOKONTROL2! How cool is that folks? The community managed to bribe me into writing Midi support for darktable! :joy:

More news will follow once that thing is here (Amazon estimated Friday).

7 Likes

Well shit, I havenā€™t even donated yet!

Thatā€™s why we didnā€™t get those fancy palettegear blocks. :slight_smile:

Great news! :slight_smile:
Is it possible to work in Kdenlive, Krita and GIMP with it then?
That would awsome. Especially in Kdenlive.

Palletgear was supposed to hook me up with a hardware api, but never did. Iā€™d rather have generic midi support though :wink:

1 Like

Youā€™d need to take it up with the developers of each application. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™d do with midi support gimp or krita, both have good wacom/tablet support, which I think is a better input device for those applications. But I wouldnā€™t want to use a wacom in Darktable, it doesnā€™t make a lot of sense!

Hm, me2, has there been a special campaign or was it just the general pixls.us donations?

I catched up and gave my $0.02 to pixls.us as I always do, but literally this time and not exactly $0.02 :wink:, if you are still dreaming about this palettegear stuff ā€¦ Otoh, they did not implement the dt interface themselves, which is a reason for not buying their stuff :smiling_imp:.

1 Like

I donā€™t think there was a special campaignā€¦ I didnā€™t see one.

Gimp has MIDI support:
https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-pimping.html#gimp-prefs-input-controllers

No, there wasnā€™t any specific campaign. And the gadget I got is so cheap (44ā‚¬ with free shipping) that the normal donations were able to cover it. Since it is a class compliant Midi device it should enable me to write generic Midi support that should work with every other such device. Note the abundance of shoulds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, to bad. I was hoping for an ā€œAdvent calenderā€ style crafting series

Let's make a Midi controler for darktable in 24 days with @houz!

:innocent:

3 Likes

Itā€™s still a week. We will see. :smiley:

This is great news. I hope this support works with my BCF. Have you any ideas on how you will implement the slider/rotaries to darktabls modules sliders config. Iā€™m guessing text config file.