More masking tools in RawTherapee?

Thank you. I just tried it and it mostly works. It’s a good starting point but have to modify it for my images but I don’t really understand it.

• In the wavelet > contrast: why is level 1 to 6 set to 0 and you apply the contrast to the coarser 7,8,9? I would I have done the other way, 0 contrast to the coarser and more contrast to the finer, similar to the detail > contrast by detail levels.

• and what about wavelets > residual image > contrast?

Thanks

Syv

Actually I proceeded with just some feeling, using an image that I had exported from a LR trial version as comparison, trying to match the clarity look up from the unprocessed image in RT.
Of course it’s far from good. I just wanted to share this pp3 because I knife like it on some images.
If you come up with something else, please share it with the community!

To my understanding , the Clarity slider in LR - unlike the Contrast slider - only affect the mid tones , and leaves the highlights untouched.

Found a picture showing that

I don’t know if there is a equivalent in RT

You showed Contrast + 100 and Clarity + 100, but not before… So we have to guess how the example looked before Contrast + 100 or Clarity + 100

Thanks, though really hard to compare because images have different size…
A triple view, no changes, Contrast + 100, Clarity + 100 at once would be usefull, as you showed above with the Contrast + 100, Clarity + 100

Well , when using the Contrast slider the highlights is getting lighter , and the shadows is getting darker.
When using the Clarity , the highlights is not getting lighter , only the mid tones is getting more contrast.

Found another example

Sorry , could not find a before picture

Could we have the original histogram as well? We need every combination and histograms of each of the same thing to evaluate the differences.

From my experience with clarity, the algorithm changes once in a while. I think the recent versions incorporate machine learning, so it makes it even harder to understand well.

Using clarity many years ago, it seemed to be a combination of tone mapping, compression and local contrast enhancement. I used it in small amounts; large amounts looked bad. But with machine learning, as you can see from the +100 samples, it looks really good now.

1 Like

Sorry , there was no original histogram.
I also only use it in small amounts , in large amounts - only when using local adjustment.

If you have an interesting picture , upload it. I can try using Contast/Clarity with my LR 8

In RT, by default the Wavelet Contrast acts on Shadows and Highlights:
Screenshot_2019-03-18_07-53-45

But you can manipulate the curve to avoid affecting shadows and highlights and make the effect act on midtones:
Screenshot_2019-03-18_07-55-29

That’s how I set it up in my “clarity” pp3.

9 Likes

It means you can adjust/fine tune how much of the highlight/shadow you want to affect. I don’t think LR can do that…

In theory a clear advantage to RT.

For information there is a tool “Clarity” in the “wavelenew” branch.

It has two possible settings : “Merge Luma” and “Merge chroma” which requires zoom 100%

jacques

if you compile the branch “waveletnew” and seek to understand. Here a documentation in french

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Wavelets/fr#Sharp-mask_et_Clart.C3.A9_.28patch_en_cours_branche_waveletnew.29

Thanks Jacques. Is there still a lot of work going on, on the “waveletnew” branch? Is it going to be merged soon into “dev”?

@sguyader
probably due to many merge, “waveletnew” is completely broken, and works very bad.

I will create a new branch “wavelenh”.
I will rewrite (in fact “copy”) part of code from “waveletnew”

As soon as it’s done, I’ll let you know

Jacques

@jdc lets discuss this first in GitHub.

@Morgan_Hardwood
The work to implement only “Clarity method” is almost finished. (Its take me about 2 hours of work)

jacques

2 Likes

I’ve been testing the clarity feature from “waveletnew”, and in conjunction with the settings I used earlier with classic wavelet and local contrast, I think I get something quite nice!
I guess that indeed, merging the clarity filter into the “dev” wavelet levels would be nice. Instead of hijacking this thread, I’ll probably share some results in another thread here, and in GitHub if it fits.