My camera died and I'm depressed

Old Canon EOS 5D, doesn’t power on, done all checks, and even some sorcery.
I think I may have caused this: I bought a cheap (very cheap) lens extension tube last year, and have used it only once to take some macro photos.
Today, I tried it again.
The problem with it is that it doesn’t make contact well, so I have to make some manual shifts until the camera talks to the lens.
I suspect that in this process I may have caused some kind of short circuit or something.

Send it for repairs? Can be expensive though…

1 Like

You can buy a used 5Dmk4 pretty cheep these days.

1 Like

Sounds like a blown fuse.

http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Canon_5D_Repair.html

4 Likes

Roughly, the average price for a used mk IV body is around 2.8K US$.

With the current high exchange rate of 1 to 5, this is not an option.

I thought about that (after some research on the internet :slightly_smiling_face: )

But… I think it’s above my adventurous level, since I don’t know electronics, neither do I have a friend who does (as the guy from the second link).
Anyway, it’s good to know what it’s about, when I’ll send it to repair. I’ll get more confident to negotiate the price.
Thanks for the links!

get another one perhaps? it’s the golden age of excellent second-hand dslr these days thanks to the introduction of all the mirrorless full-frame from nikon, sony etc.

A year ago or so I bought a D810 with grip, extra batteries etc for exactly 1000 EUR – and regardless of the improvements brought in by the D850 (*) the D810 is a robust body that will stay with me for a very long time.

I remember going on a field trip to Svalbard a couple of years ago and my stupid Fuji XT2 would eat batteries so fast; while a student/guide who was with us from the local university had an old, battered D800 that looked like it had been clawed by polar bears but worked flawlessly in the harsh polar conditions.

Anyway, I simply wanted to say that keh.com has a lot of EOS 5D and 5D mkII in the price range 3000-550 USD which I’d say is rather good! Didn’t Pete Souza use mkII for covering the Obama admistration?

(*) yes, it’d be nice to have the flipscreen but even more megapixels? not really… AF improvement? I mostly enjoy old manual focus primes…

1 Like

Yeah, I agree with you. The point is this current prohibitive dollar exchange rate, where I live.
And I don’t care for flip screens nor af points. I don’t even care about video recording capability or live view, both absent in the 5D.
I love this model for its simplicity, almost an SLR with a (good) sensor.
Anyway, thanks for the incentive and links.

I bought mine for 1k eur.

1 Like