My personal darktable theme.

Thanks for sharing

1 Like

First, great job @difrkaguilar. As you said, itā€™s not on darktable standard and you explain it great. Anyway, itā€™s a beautiful and well made theme. Like that.

About tone curve and tone curve rvb, you so just show a bug. All graph are set by graph lines at the beginning of css file. But this doesnā€™t apply on those ones. Itā€™s not possible to fix that with CSS actually. That just means that background on those graphs remains hardcoded and had not been moved to be fixed with CSS. I will post an issue to ask for some help to fix that (I donā€™t have skills for that part!). Link to the issue: Graphs in both tone curve and tone equalizer modules remains hardcoded and not set by CSS Ā· Issue #10926 Ā· darktable-org/darktable Ā· GitHub

About your first post here, I suggest you to update it and change lines about where to put your css file. Itā€™s not a good thing to suggest to save it in darktable system folder (theme file added manually could be removed in a next update). The theme should only be copied in darktable config user folder. I suggest to change your 3 lines by those:

Linux: ~/.config/darktable/themes/

MacOS: ~/.config/darktable/themes/

Windows: C:\%LOCALAPPDATA%\darktable where %LOCALAPPDATA% should be something like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local

@difrkaguilar: another thing, you set 2 lines to import darktable.css and darktable-icons.css. That means you import 2 times darktable.css. darktable.css file is the main theme where all things of the UI are set (black default one with OS font used). Then all elegant themes import darktable.css content and inherit from it and just change what they are for. icons css files just add icons on darkroom modules to related theme, so inherit from it. So if you import darktable-icons.css file, you import also darktable.css file and add icons. So use darktable.css file if you want default theme without icons and darktable-icons.css one if you want icons too.

Last thing, darktable propose a way to edit/change directly from darktable CSS theme. Thatā€™s why thereā€™s no link directly to darktable system folder. This way is in main darktable settings, in first tab.

So to link to darktable default themes, just copy past lines, all after import ones, of CSS theme proposed by @difrkaguilar here in CSS editor in main darktable settings. This editor create/use a user.css file inside .config/darktable folder (links above).

3 Likes

Thank you very much, I will realize your suggestions in the next few hours. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ll do it ASAP.

Thereā€™s no longer any need. Have a look at the, now closed, issue and the new one.

Nilvus and elstoc (and me in a way) have reached an agreement on how to tackle this problem.

In short: use user.css instead of a home made style that is put in ~/.config/darktable/themes/

user.css can be filled/tested using darktable itself (preferences->general->css section). It puts its changes on top of the selected theme, so no need to include @import url xyz. This makes it completely OS independent. You can also edit the file by hand, it is read when darktable starts.

All this means that you can take your darktable-Pro-v02.css file, remove the first 21 lines (up to the This has been tested with line), save and rename it to ~/.config/darktable/user.css

Start darktable and go to preferences->general select the darktable-icons theme and tick modify selected theme with CSS tweaks below

6 Likes

Great. Updated, tested and adopted. :smiley:

user.zip (4.0 KB)

Now users can select darktable or darktable-icons themes and paste the user.css to the entry section in the general tab of the darktable preferences window.

or copy the user.css to: ~/.config/darktable

@Jade_NL @Nilvus and @elstoc thanks for the review.

6 Likes

user.css goes in ~/.config/darktable ā€“ itā€™s the file that the preferences dialog saves the ā€œCSS tweaksā€ to so copying user.css should do exactly the same as copying its contents to the preferences dialog.

2 Likes

Sorry, my mistake. Now corrected :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

1 Like

Very nice and colorful option ā€¦ but I must admit that it is rather distracting from the work at hand.

ā€œuser.zipā€ does not include user.css!
What am I missing?

Iā€™m going to upload an update of the theme ASAP.

edit.

This is my last (2022/05/15) user.css

user.zip (4.4 KB)

The instructions are the same. User can enter the user.css info into the darktable configuration window / general tab /

The base theme I use is darktable-icons

2 Likes

Thanks ā€¦ I still have a problem understanding ā€¦
ā€œuser.zipā€ contains 3 files (all of which are zip files)
When I further open any of those 3 files, none contain user.css.
I do understand how the ā€˜user.cssā€™ is to be applied but I cannot find that file in your user.zip.

Well, I just downloaded the zip through the link in @difrkaguilarā€™s post above, and the archive I received contained one (1) file, called ā€œuser.cssā€ (size: 16 kB).

@davidvj : Perhaps more details on what exactly you did might be helpful?

Not sure what is going on here ā€¦ when I download that same zip file I find that it contains 3 further zip files none of which contained ā€˜user.cssā€™.
However, the most recent offering from Franklin that was sent does indeed contain user.css.txt which can be used.
Unfortunately this latest file appears to have serious problems on both of my systems. Parts of the screen simply vanish making this version unusable.
This is a shame ā€¦ when I initially tested the file it worked well so I am not sure what has changed. I am running the git install ver: 3.9.0+1484~gdc929e1f90 ā€¦ somehow I doubt that this makes any difference.

You could consider submitting it upstream so the devs can include it in the next major release or maybe even the next 3.8.x release.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on here but I do finally have this theme running correctly. Apologies to all for some still unknown gaff on my part.
And thank you again Franklin for your work.
Yes, nice idea to have this as a optional theme.

2 Likes

Maybe it was because I use the darktable-icons as base theme.

Users must select darktable-icons first and then copy the info of user.css and paste to the tweaks section.

@difrkaguilar: great work but you could simplify and reduce your theme file. Just remove all lines that are already in darktable.css file. For example, just probably all (or nearly all, I didnā€™t check exactly) ā€œReset GTK defaultsā€ lines (after define-color ones) could be removed.

And your theme miss selected text color. when selecting lines on CSS text box, I canā€™t see which lines I have selected. As itā€™s set on darktable themes, you probably override that.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the advice. Iā€™ll go to check the file with the Meld app to have a better idea of the lines to remove.

As always, many thanks to each and every darktable developer involved in the process of creating this software gem.

Great tools come with great responsibilities. :wink:

darktable is growing and improving with the inclusion of new tools and the improvement of others in each version.

For this version 4.2 I made some adjustments to my personal theme. But as I wrote in my first message of this post. This is a free personal version that I know does not follow the rules and guidelines advised by the developers to avoid visual mismatches in terms of contrasts, etc. to avoid the negative effects generated by optical illusions

Iā€™ve left two screenshots of the appearance of the theme in this new version.

ā€œNo cornea was harm during the creation process of this themeā€. :slight_smile:

Greetings from La Habana, Cuba.

version 0.2
user.zip (4.9 KB)

lighttable

darkroom

12 Likes