My take on RawTherapee

The file expired 1 day ago for me. :frowning:

@agriggio Alberto, can you check if Unsharp mask sharpening works on your side? I’m right with fresh ART v. 0.1-30-g7844e4667 and USM doesn’t do anything here. RL sharpening works.

Confirmed – sorry about that. Should work now, thanks for reporting!

1 Like

RL sharpening also doesn’t work when you dial up Damping.

also confirmed… I’ll fix that asap (in the meantime the jpg orientation should work now)

1 Like

Jpeg orientation is OK now (after clearing the cache for jpeg files).
Unsharp mask fix confirmed.
Even the RL-dumpling tastes great, again.
Thanks! :+1:

I especially like the direct integration of tcmalloc in ART, because it finally fixes all the memory issues I had with RawTherapee, plus it seems to run faster.
LD_PRELOADing libtcmalloc in RT unfortunately doesn’t fix the immense RAM usage for me :frowning:
Will play around with patching in tcmalloc in a similar way ART does…

I’m curious as to the reasons that led you to drop the wavelets tool, if you don’t mind.

Both the code and the UI are quite complex, and I’ve never managed to get a good grasp of either. So I’ve decided to keep the only part of the wavelets tool that I was actually using, that is the local contrast manipulation in the “final touchup” part of the UI and the residual contast in the “Residual” section. They now live in the local contrast module:

3 Likes

Well i missed this important topic.

The list of the new features seems really really nice, but the list of removed features is important too (in particular i use really really often the batch queue).

Now… i have a problem, a big one… which one to choose? RT or ART?

What i hope is both projects can benefit one from each other.

the batch queue is still there, it will never go away. what has been removed is the ability to change individual parameters in “batch mode”: for example, select a bunch of pictures and add +1ev of exposure compensation to all of them. you can still do batch editing via copy/paste/apply partial processing profiles

2 Likes

Is it too soon to start calling this software “The Art” ??
:hehehe:

Exterminate!

2 Likes

Ciao @agriggio!

Either I have not been paying attention or else I smell a Rat in Art.
When opening an X-trans RAW in Art, and then shipping it to The Gimp (using the dedicated Gimp button), here is what I see:
sendToGimp
Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Confirmed. I get this in the console:

Skipping duplicate plug-in: '/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/gmic_gimp_qt'
Plug-in "script-fu"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu/script-fu) is installing procedure "script-fu-advanced-tone-mapping" with a full menu path "<Image>/Filters/Enhance/Advanced Tone Mapping..." as menu label, this deprecated and will be an error in GIMP 3.0
Plug-in "script-fu"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu/script-fu) is installing procedure "script-fu-hillustrative" with a full menu path "<Image>/Script-Fu/Hillustrative..." as menu label, this deprecated and will be an error in GIMP 3.0
Plug-in "script-fu"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu/script-fu) is installing procedure "script-fu-skin-job" with a full menu path "<Image>/Script-Fu/skin-job..." as menu label, this deprecated and will be an error in GIMP 3.0
Plug-in "script-fu"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu/script-fu) is installing procedure "script-fu-skin-job-clut" with a full menu path "<Image>/Script-Fu/skin-job-clut..." as menu label, this deprecated and will be an error in GIMP 3.0
Plug-in "script-fu"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/script-fu/script-fu) is installing procedure "script-fu-wakui" with a full menu path "<Image>/Script-Fu/Wakui..." as menu label, this deprecated and will be an error in GIMP 3.0
Unknown field with tag 11 (0xb) encountered
gimp_color_transform_new: using babl for 'GIMP built-in sRGB' -> 'Iiyama Prolite B2409HDS.icc'
gimp_color_transform_new: using babl for 'GIMP built-in sRGB' -> 'Iiyama Prolite B2409HDS.icc'
Unknown field with tag 11 (0xb) encountered
bps: 16
load_contiguous
bytes_per_pixel: 6, format: 6
bps: 16
load_contiguous
bytes_per_pixel: 6, format: 6
Unknown field with tag 513 (0x201) encountered
Unknown field with tag 514 (0x202) encountered
bps: 1

And in the bottom dialog bar in ART it’s stuck showing “fast Xtrans demosaicing…” and the progress bar is stuck at 100%.

sigh… this is most likely me being lazy with metadata exporting :cry:
I was hoping I could take some shortcuts and export all available metadata from the raw to the rendered image. Apparently, this is not a good idea – so I will need to do some filtering I guess. It might take a while.

Hey, first things first. It still hasn’t even made the software page on pixls.us PIXLS.US - Software
@patdavid

If @agriggio thinks it’s ready enough to be included we can do it. I’d like to get a proper icon worked out first, though. :slight_smile:

Do we need another icon design thread? Like we did for PhotoFlow?

That would be nice!

Hi,

It’s not a matter of “readiness” of the tool, it’s more about the community IMHO. I think the code is reasonably stable (I’d say on par with RT), but I am definitely not able to do much besides hacking on it from time to time. To me, a dedicated Software page means that there is some effort to provide at least builds and some documentation for the things not covered by RawPedia. I have neither the time nor the energy to do that, it must be someone else. So, unless volunteers pop up, I’m not sure a dedicated software page makes sense.

1 Like