My take on RawTherapee

That would be nice!

Hi,

It’s not a matter of “readiness” of the tool, it’s more about the community IMHO. I think the code is reasonably stable (I’d say on par with RT), but I am definitely not able to do much besides hacking on it from time to time. To me, a dedicated Software page means that there is some effort to provide at least builds and some documentation for the things not covered by RawPedia. I have neither the time nor the energy to do that, it must be someone else. So, unless volunteers pop up, I’m not sure a dedicated software page makes sense.

1 Like

Should work now

2 Likes

It works :slight_smile: Thank you.

/Claes

I’m really excited by several features Alberto incorporated into ART. One of theses is the handling of xmp sidecar files, and more specifically the fact that it allows geotagging a raw file without writing these tags to the raw file itself.

What I tried is to use a cool little program simply called Geotag, which loads raw files (but also other file types), lets you look around on Google maps, imports the GPS coordinates from where you put the marker, and allows saving the geotag to an xmp file.

Then when I open the raw files in ART (after enabling the synchronization with xmp sidecars from the Settings), I can see the geotag in the Metadata, and when I export the images to jpeg, geotags are transferred to their exif. So cool!

1 Like

was not aware of this feature. There are some Easter eggs in this program :grinning:

@agriggio

The use of ART gave rise to some thinkings and perhaps dreams. So the wishlist :crazy_face:
note: It doesn’t require answer, unless something is wrong or badly understood

• saving snapshots in processing profiles is really a plus as it is possible now to record different processings.

• I am perhaps wrong, but I never use the history as it can become quickly very long. I use snapshots to keep track of intermediate steps.
    So I would like if history could be replaced by the list of active tools listed in order of pipeline. Clicking on one would expand and display tool in its tab.

• what surprise me is that the tools are grouped in the tabs in an
    order that doesn’t seem friendly.
    They could be ordered in the pipeline order , or from fondamental and frequently used tool (exposure, white balance, tone curve…) to less used (HSV correction…)
    I feel that even in simple processing cases I have to go from tab to tab to adjust or verify the needed basic tools .

Local adjustment is a real improvement

• I would like the “show mask” command near the curves

• I would like local contrast/wavelets become a local adjustment

• area definition. I did not find the way to adjust a side independantly of the opposite like in crop zone definition.
    In case I want select a foreground subject it is tedious.
    using a polygone would be easier.

• once the HCL curves and area are defined, I suppose that somewhere a data structure defining the mask is created. I would like to be able to transfer this mask to the same or to an other local adjustment to avoid to have to redefine the mask especially since the adjustments are not at the same place in the pipeline.

• Then I would like to be able to invert the mask (not the area)

• going further, I would like a mask tool that permits to define parametric masks, and to paint on them.
    Once identified, those masks could be then used in different local adjustment tools.
    The GUI should be then less cluttered.

• in some cases, I really had trouble to get a good mask for the foreground subject. for instance [PlayRaw] RAW Challenge: Backlit

I wouldn’t like that. :wink:

yes

I was thinking about something similar, so it might happen. but it would be an extra tab, not a history replacement.

yes, the order is a bit random. but I don’t think pipeline order would be any better tbh

you can use contrast by detail levels

yes, the UI could be better, I agree

in principle, I agree. in practice, the local tools are so different that I hardly ever need this. can you give me some examples? on any case, this would require some thinking. but I like your idea of a separate mask tool – I’ll think about it

I’ll give it a try

This is the very reason I’m not using RT right now, and off doing my own software shenanigans. History to me was just indicative of my early indecision (well, ineptitude) regarding where to start with an image, and what I really care about is what processing I ended up with. What order it happens is also important to me, but maybe not most others.

Now, I like to stack my image operators myself, so I’ll probably stick with rawproc. But I think RT would work better to tell folk what’s really going on if there were a pipeline list of some sort…

1 Like

How about something like this?

DSC02168.ARW.arp.txt (10.1 KB)

1 Like

I never used that in RT as it was useless (for me). In ART it becomes important.

@ggbutcher made a precise explanation of what I think. At least shrinking/expanding the history panel would be good.

first it’s much less easy to use than local contrast and second I feel I cannot obtain same local contrast effect with CBDL.

With a foreground subject and same mask, I would like to use color correction , local contrast, also sharpening and with inverse mask applying some smoothing or defocusing.

Much better mask than that I was able to obtain! I am going to study your arp file. thanks

painting on mask to dodge and burn could be interestiong.
And I think also to the possibility to use external mask as depth mask.

Ciao @agriggio!

ART 0.1-48-g68552d31a (just fetched):
Click Preferences → ART makes an express closure.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

thanks. I pushed in a hurry just for backup, without actually testing… :blush: I’ll fix it later today

I was once taught that the proper reply from me would be
Calma, calma!

No harm done. I was just noting a discrepancy…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Svezia

should work now fwiw :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have made substantial changes in there, you might want to checkout the new/final version (also, the guided filter variant is pretty cool).

2 Likes

I followed your indications. Compilation was succesful. I am unable to get the french translation.
Any idea how to do that.
Many thanks for the work done by all

I observed that the Saturation slider from Local Editing > color correction is ineffective.
Power and slope are efficient but i found them rather difficult to adjust.
Aggrigio, thanks for the work realized.
SM

hi, what do you mean exactly? can you be more specific? thanks!

Thanks for the reply. If i do a mask in local editing and want to increase the saturation of my selection (in color correction), I observed no effect of the saturation slider on the mask. Other cursor are active.
No sure to be clear with my English.
Sorry