Need a monitor for professional photography

@s7habo Ok, to clarify. Both Eizo and Nec display can be Calibrated and Profiled under Linux with dedicated Vendor Software (Color Navigator 7 for Eizo for free, Nec SpectraViewII - need a license, Nec). They are Hardware calibrated. I did it both. Nec for me works better. Far more engineer friendly :wink: Color Navigator is nice looking and has less options :wink: They are fast and easy to use.

https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cn7/

It says since CN7 that Linux is supported (they did not publish such information with CN6)

https://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Downloads

Dell had some for Windows but not for Linux (so you can only profile them)
BenQ - ??? I do not know.

1 Like

BenQ only has calibration software for Win and Mac.

The software calibration (as does diplaycal) is possible with almost every monitor, as it only changes the image before it reaches monitor. (limiting thus the color “resolution” [8bpc possible values] to only those which are displayable)
The hw calibration actually changes also the monitor internal LUT and requires usually the manufacturer tool for the calibration. The tool can have list of specific calibration devices which it supports.

2 Likes

Sorry for off-topic…

@Entropy512
It’s windows drivers limitation afaik. They already had support for 10bit via directx full-screen (games) longer, but not via opengl, what pro apps are usually using.
I saw article where amd engineer confirmed that despite the consumer card is giving 10bit output, the actual surfaces are 8bit.

That is a nice surprise. Thanks for the pointer.

So what about the NEC MultiSync PA271Q.

It would be in the price range, overs hardware calibration and Linux software support. Interestingly the list of supported calibration devices is smaller on Linux than on Windows. But why the X-Rite i1 Display should work and the X-Rite i1Studio not?

A couple of decades(?) ago, I owned a NEC monitor and printer. Both were well built and are still in working condition. I still use the monitor sometimes. As for the printer, the cartridges are rare and expensive and OSes haven’t supported it for a long time.

@s7habo So have you made up your mind yet?

Yes. I’ve bought Eizo CG279X ColorEdge. I have found a Christmas offer for about 1700 € and immediately took it without further thought. I have reached my ultimate limit financially now and will be hungry in January but it was still a relief after so much headache during the research. :face_with_head_bandage:

Anyway, many thanks to all of you who made the effort to show me the right way with your advice!

Now I have to deal with all the settings and see if I can get software running on Ubuntu.

1 Like

Ok. One question about linux software for Eizo.

I got the installer for Linux version from support, but I cannot install it. The page says it is for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (64-bit). But I use Ubuntu 18.04. Is there any way to “translate” it on Ubuntu Linux?

I’m a complete idiot when it comes to that sort of thing.

Here is a link to the installer, if anyone is interested:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14lFG-MHPu0q1lohbZv4rDQ_YMnLEcHvw

https://wiki.debian.org/Alien

Good luck!

Thx @pk5dark but installer is not rpm file but shell script.

No need for alien

It is a tar.gz. There is an install.sh script and what is does it simply adds additional libraries (hopefully they are available on Ubuntu) and copies files to /opt/EIZO.

I’m not quite sure if I did not install it on my 18.04. I had CN6 installed (it was a pain in a back and I ended up installing it on VM).

If in doubt. Do as I did for CN6:

1. Install Centos in VirtualBox (also install additions ans extensions)
  2. Install CN7 in that Centos
  3. Connect Monitor via USB cable to your computer and pass through USB device to VM
    3.1 There maybe some issue with usb visibility for VBox. Google it since I don’t recall exact issue I just remember it exists (sorry)
  4. Pass through colorimeter (spectrometer) the same way (you have i1display pro?)
  5. Setup share folder with your host machine so that you can copy ICC files.

This will work since CN will communicate with Monitor via USB and it will send commands to Monitor directly via USB. Thus during calibration all graphical stack is by-passed.

You will need to manually track you ICC files and synchronize them. On the other hand I ended up with … one ICC file.

I think I may try to install CN7 in the near future if … I have a time.

Good luck

Anyway great choice! It costs around 2.500 Euro in Poland (it hurts…) Hope you will be happy with it!

1 Like

i1 Display Pro is a colorimeter and i1Studio is a spectrometer.

Professional animations are done on Linux systems so there is a need to necessary SW to calibrate display.
There is no professional color critical printing solution for Linux. Neither Epson nor Canon provides drives for Linux thus there is no necessity for calibration/profiling SW.

That’s my guess. Simply there is no business for it.

1 Like

Yea, VirtualBox is my advice too.

1 Like

@s7habo
I do not use ColourNavigator to calibrate my EIZO. I use displaycal instead. That works nicely.

Hermann-Josef

1 Like

Epson does provide Linux drivers for some printers: EPSON Download Center

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of that. SC-P6000 for instance, however linux is not listed on supported OSes so i’m not sure what they offer.

If you click the link, you’ll see you can search by model for available drivers

Yes. I did research while thinking about purchasing a printer. There are no drivers for epson 3880, p400, p600, p800. There are drivers for, like I said, sc-p6000 and 8000.
Anyway it’s off topic a bit :wink:

So how do you like your new screen? Were you able to calibrate it properly under Linux?

1 Like