Need a monitor for professional photography

We need to get our terms straight. I could explain it but why do so when we already have an excellent resource here: Calibration vs. Characterization?

1 Like

Ok. And what now? How can I now translate this to looking for a monitor?

The characterization part should be straightforwardly supported by a system with a good CMS. The trouble comes with the calibration part. That is where the compatibility nightmares begin because it would involve the GPU, firmware and software to work together. As mentioned in the link, CMSs are usually ignorant of the calibration and rely on the characterization profile to transform colours in a way that is proper. Proper calibration is usually done by the manufacturer but even then it depends on their expertise and commitment to the matter. You can check to see if they have that service but then it would cost you the shipping both ways and their actual service.

I am dealing with information here. I haven’t owed or used any monitors of note, let alone profiled or calibrated them. It would make most people insane to use the garbage screen that I have right now. :blowfish: There have been a couple of threads that discuss the future of HDR in linux. The people who are involved in them might give you more info on the calibration aspect of displays.

Well, calibration in the sense Displaycal uses when profiling my display with my i1Display Pro, is the part of the process when you try to get as close as possible to certain parameters that you have set in the software. Namely Color Temperature and White level: that is, how bluish or redish you need the white point, and how bright your display should be.

When you start the process of profiling, you start by calibrating the device, by adjusting the hardware parameters of your display (entering the display configuration) and make a patch Displaycal shows on screen, to be the same hue of white, and the same brightness as desired.

You go as close as possible with your hardware configuration (brightness, contrast, and if you’re allowed, levels of R, G and B). Most probably a professional display will have a lot more settings to adjust.

And when you’re done, the software works to give you a correction to your hardware settings (to give you a profile), so you get the correct colors when using a color managed application.

It’s not that difficult. You only have to have a decent device to create the profile.

I was asking the same question myself years ago - is hardware calibration better than …?
I couldn’t find a satisfying answer.

I think there are some more questions to clarify:

1. How are you planing to present your photos - online or prints?
  2. Do you want to print yourself?

Getting prints right is much more demanding than sharing some photos online. In any case some calibration and profiling helps.

By the way I bought a calibration device first (colorhug) and after that I started to search for a new monitor.

Both.

No. I will print in a photo shop near me.

If you use ColorNavigator or SpectraView then all you need to do is to set declared parameters and the software will do the rest. After calibration the menu in monitor will be locked. You wouldn’t be able to change some settings (like brightnes) since it is controlled by SW.

Already suggested in point 3.

Or if you get lucky, you can even get a bundle with the proper display and a good calibrating device. Note: that is just an example. I wouldn’t go for it even if it was my desired display. I would go for a combo with a device capable of calibrating printers.

Ah, but then you will not be able to govern the entire chain… :frowning:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I have not said that I should always do my printing wherever else, at the moment I cannot afford a reasonable printer because my current priority is more in photographic equipment.

If the printing service has CM in place and they provide icc profiles then you’re good.
Still you will need to learn the characteristics of papers and this cost time and money.

yes they do.

I agree. I’ve had these experiences before. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve also had exhibitions with my photos. One example (don’t mind the quality, they’re not as bad as they look on these photos, I’ve documented the exhibition with my smartphone) :smirk::

@s7habo Ok, to clarify. Both Eizo and Nec display can be Calibrated and Profiled under Linux with dedicated Vendor Software (Color Navigator 7 for Eizo for free, Nec SpectraViewII - need a license, Nec). They are Hardware calibrated. I did it both. Nec for me works better. Far more engineer friendly :wink: Color Navigator is nice looking and has less options :wink: They are fast and easy to use.

https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cn7/

It says since CN7 that Linux is supported (they did not publish such information with CN6)

https://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Downloads

Dell had some for Windows but not for Linux (so you can only profile them)
BenQ - ??? I do not know.

1 Like

BenQ only has calibration software for Win and Mac.

The software calibration (as does diplaycal) is possible with almost every monitor, as it only changes the image before it reaches monitor. (limiting thus the color “resolution” [8bpc possible values] to only those which are displayable)
The hw calibration actually changes also the monitor internal LUT and requires usually the manufacturer tool for the calibration. The tool can have list of specific calibration devices which it supports.

2 Likes

Sorry for off-topic…

@Entropy512
It’s windows drivers limitation afaik. They already had support for 10bit via directx full-screen (games) longer, but not via opengl, what pro apps are usually using.
I saw article where amd engineer confirmed that despite the consumer card is giving 10bit output, the actual surfaces are 8bit.

That is a nice surprise. Thanks for the pointer.

So what about the NEC MultiSync PA271Q.

It would be in the price range, overs hardware calibration and Linux software support. Interestingly the list of supported calibration devices is smaller on Linux than on Windows. But why the X-Rite i1 Display should work and the X-Rite i1Studio not?

A couple of decades(?) ago, I owned a NEC monitor and printer. Both were well built and are still in working condition. I still use the monitor sometimes. As for the printer, the cartridges are rare and expensive and OSes haven’t supported it for a long time.

@s7habo So have you made up your mind yet?

Yes. I’ve bought Eizo CG279X ColorEdge. I have found a Christmas offer for about 1700 € and immediately took it without further thought. I have reached my ultimate limit financially now and will be hungry in January but it was still a relief after so much headache during the research. :face_with_head_bandage:

Anyway, many thanks to all of you who made the effort to show me the right way with your advice!

Now I have to deal with all the settings and see if I can get software running on Ubuntu.

1 Like