need help for correct colors

Filmic is used by default for global tone mapping. You could go with out it. I have developed lots of images just using the tone eq…one or two instances to deal with shadows and/or highlights if needed and maybe a third to deal with adding back some contrast… This can avoid some of the color manipulation that you see and need to account for in filmic but it can also be more tinkering .

Hi, nothing prevents to do the treatment by eye, until personal satisfaction, with the color area by selecting the color, I think it is possible.
Everyone has their own workflow, as long as you are satisfied with the desired result.

Thanks for sharing this image. I had fun with it, using Enfuse and GIMP. I don’t pretend that the result bears any resemblance to reality!

A try without doing anything but only disabling filmic and using sigmoid (from latest PR) lowering preserve hue. This gives a pleasing orange (IMHO not rat piss yellow) instead of the salmon of filmic and probably what @OrcLex is trying to obtain.

Doing this in the tone mapper could be considered wrong but it’ll be quite difficult and time consuming to obtain this by using other modules. P.S. I always prefer the sigmoid output and the last changes to the filmic rgb curve in current darktable makes working with it more difficult.

BTW I don’t see burned out highlights in this photo.

_DSC5596.ARW.xmp (9.1 KB)

2 Likes

Actually its very easy and not so hard if you just use v5 instead in filmic and tweak the size and position of the latitude and then you can also bump or pull back the midtone saturation to your taste and you can arrive at pretty much any version of yellow to orange that you like…

If you look at the histogram

It starts here

Adding exposure begins to shift the color channels bumping green and blue giving the normal look we expect so with say 1.5 to 2 ev moving from orange to yellow

Adding v6 which I think does hue preservation in all modes reverts the shift but then we see this sort of magenta appear as it pulls back the green or it can be closer to white with some preservation modes.

If instead you use Filmic V5 with pres set to no so leave the hue shift and tweak the saturation slider along with latitude span and position you can have a range of orange and yellows in the sky…

I just tried switching filmic to V5 for this image because of @priort post and I was able to get the sky much closer to the JPG than with V6. I can’t upload my image at the moment due to bandwidth. However, maybe some images are just going to be easier to work with in filmic V5. At least we have the option to switch back when needed. Thanks Todd for suggesting such an easy fix.

Todd has the recipe. This is a beautiful sunset picture. Great camera! Noise free, even in the darkest areas. I like a little less yellow than the jpg.

_DSC5596_07.ARW.xmp (12.7 KB)

My version using dt 4.0.1 and fimic v5.

I tried to get the sunset colors close to the jpeg.

_DSC5596.ARW.xmp (18.1 KB)

1 Like

Nice touch on the table tops vs the rest of the foreground…works nicely with the backlight from the sky

1 Like

My attempt

Just disable this abomination called Filmic RGB and use any of available tone curve modules.
BTW Filmic should not be enabled by default - in my opinion. I wonder how many new users were disgusted by the results and dropped the idea of using Darktable at all just because of that.

Switch to the screen-referred workflow in settings, and you’ll use the basecurve by default (or nothing).
You’ll find this in settings under “processing” => “auto-apply pixel workflow defaults”, select “display-referred” or “none”, no more filùic by default.

That said, I find it a rather cheap shot to say a tool is an abomination before you have taken the time to learn its use (hint: there is a manual, and you need it). No, darktable doesn’t work the same way as ligthroom. That’s its strenght.

1 Like

Please do elaborate.

Not a great tone to start as a member of this community.

4 Likes

I like your one very much! Did you just use darktable or did you do it with gimp as the name suggests? Could you give us your sidecar file? What have you added/changed with gimp which was not possible with darktable?

ART

1 Like

GIMP -nUFraw and image correction in the LAB space
https://discuss.pixls.us/uploads/short-url/mWebZDvNUrnEgGGvXY4RAtiYhMV.pdf
GIMP and sidecar file? No

Hello. Your problem provoked my interest. I tried to match the camera JPG image with RawTherapee 5.8. I’m a bit surprised that the best curve type for this image appears to be Standard if the goal is to avoid color distortions in the highlights. The working color space of my choice is ACESp0 and it has noticeable impact here.

_DSC5596.ARW.pp3 (12.0 KB)

1 Like