New film-like tone mapping curves - tests/feedback needed

Hum, that wasn’t enough.

I edited shreedar’s pfi file and noticed that there is an absolute path to the image.

Besides, he’s on Windows and I’m on Ubuntu.

I put the absolute path to mine and it worked, thanks to all!

3 Likes

Good work, @shreedhar!
You did a pure tone mapping stroke, and the balance between shadows and highlights is great.
I also liked my result, but, because of my settings, I had to use an HSL mask to protect the highlights, which is kind of cheating in terms of using the full power of the tool.
Maybe I got too limited by the tone mapping curve, which I tried to keep inside the boundaries of the graph.
Yours has sky rocketed :rocket: :slightly_smiling_face: but you’ve got the right balance anyway…

EDIT:
Yours:

Mine:

2 Likes

Thanks @gadolf. I think that the use of Multiply blend mode for the tone mapping layer was crucial to get the right look. PhotoFlow is really powerful as it allows to use masks and the blend modes at the same time. Right now, I am a bit busy. When I get time, I am plan to write the help files to these tools and send them to @Carmelo_DrRaw. If he finds them useful, he can include in his programme. Right now, it only says, no info is available for almost all tools.

2 Likes

Oh, I haven’t noticed that!
Well, lots of stuff to think about and practice, thanks.

@Carmelo_DrRaw Did you catch my first impressions on “linear+log”? And how certain settings added a kink or a reversal in the curve?

I have been meaning to ask if you could add some values to the graph’s axes. Thanks for your implementations!

Well, today I’m at home due to a bad conjunctivitis, a good opportunity to exercise free time. Besides, you asked for tests, so here’s another one. :wink:
Basically, it’s amazing how quickly you can get excellent results.
This one comes from thread Cannot get close to JPG from Sony Alpha 6000.
I just did White Balance, Dynamic Range Compressor (default values), Tone Mapping (linear+log)), a curve to boost the mid tones and another one just to darken the shadows
I did this edit without comparing to any other image (except the last curve). To my surprise, in the end, the result was much closer to the camera jpg, and to the DxO version (which I find one of the best in that thread, considering what the main goal was).

The only thing I couldn’t tackle was noise reduction - and the last curve somehow hides noise in the shadows.

@Carmelo_DrRaw The tm curve doesn’t seem to refresh anymore with this late version.

DSC09850.pfi (30.5 KB)

Yes, I noticed, and I’m trying to fix it… but it’s good to remind it here, thanks!

I will check if I can reproduce this… one tm in particular, or all of them?

I like it. Both give good results at first glance, the curve is easy to shape.
With this module alone we get at once nice images.
The only points I’ve noticed:

• linear + log: compression = 0 screws the shoulder (0.1 is good).
  • I’ve lost the pf icon in the task bar (on windows, compared to pf-20181217) Edit: Though I did not drink yesterday …
1 Like

I didn’t tweak them, just used the default and I agree with @phweyland.

With this module alone we get at once nice images
as they are

BTW, is guided filter broken?.. I have a bunch of more recent presets that seems uncotpatible (they crash PhF); also if I select guided filter the program crashes. Please tell if you need terminal output or for me to open issue at github, I think you’ll manage to reproduce easily

That said, BIG thanks … for every bit =)

PS
I won’t pretend I understood half of what you wrote but it is nice to see real word examples AND the graphics with their sexy lines :+1:

1 Like

Same here.

Linear&log and reversible film.
But if I choose filmic new, tweak some settings (and the curve refreshes), then I get back to linear or reversible, then the curve refreshes for these two.

Same here

Re: guided filter

Adding layer of type "Guided filter" (guided_filter)
ImageEditor::set_selected_layer(1): old_id=1  selected_layer_id=1
ImageEditor::set_selected_layer(2): old_id=1  selected_layer_id=2
OperationConfigGUI::disable_editing(): setting editing flag to false
GuidedFilterPar::build: radius=10  threshold=0.075
      ppar->get_output_padding(0)=6  ppar->get_output_caching()=1
GuidedFilterPar::build: radius=2.5  threshold=0.075
Image size: 1236,826
Shrink factor: 0.705811
ImageArea::update(): before vips_resize()
ImageArea::update(): after vips_resize(), outimg: 0x2147f9e6340  outimg2: 0x2147f9e6ca0
      ppar->get_output_padding(0)=1  ppar->get_output_caching()=0
GuidedFilterPar::build: radius=0.3125  threshold=0.075

@afre @chroma_ghost @nosle @gadolf @phweyland
I think I have fixed the issue with the guided filter… could you please test the latest packages?

Thanks!

No crash for me on guided filter with the today build.

1 Like

@gadolf
Here is another edit of the Sonly Alpha 6000 shot, with a less saturated and IMHO more natural look:

DSC09850-2.pfi (96.2 KB)

I have used a combination of two TM curves (gamma + linear/log) and a standard curve, all applied to the residual image of a guided blur. The details are added back to the image after the TM.

1 Like

@afre @chroma_ghost @nosle @gadolf @phweyland

Personally I am very often combining the “dynamic range compressor” and the “tone mapping” modules together, one after the other. In fact, the output of the dynamic range compressor tends to be too flat, and and S-shaped tone mapping curve helps to recover mid-tones contrast.
So, I was thinking that it would probably make sense to combine the two in a single tone-mapping module, where the compression and tone mapping steps are accessible from a single UI panel.

What do you think?

For those interested in the details, the dynamic range compressor is actually nothing else but a gamma curve applied to the residual image of a guided blur. The gamma curve is scaled so that the the mid-gray point is preserved, and the exponents for the regions below and above mid-gray are adjusted separately to have independent control over the shadows and highlights.

Well, that’s what I’ve been doing in my last edits.
Except El Zorro, in which I didn’t use the compressor, because I thought that image hadn’t a great dynamic range. But this evaluation wasn’t scientific at all, just a visual guess.
Won’t there be cases where the compressor is too much? (Again, no theoretical basis, just speculation)

I think the compressor should default to “zero compression”, because as you say this is not always needed.

By the way, the Zorro image does not even require the filmic tone mapping module, as one could use normal curves instead.

In fact, the filmic tone mapping is really needed for high contrast images, typically those in which an positive exposure adjustment is needed to put middle grey at the right place, resulting in blown-out highlights. Then the highlights compression of the filmic curve can gently bring them back in the output display range…

Would this new compression slider replace the Exposure one that shows on the tm’s?

Actually, I don’t quite understand its usage there … why not adding a Basic Adjustment layer before tm, if you need to change exposure?

Same here since the introduction of DR tool, you can see that in almost all recent playraws where I’d used PhF, the DR tool named DR Gauss and the TM > GRADE. Both in each group, DR with a couple gaussian blurs to feather further ( a shop for silk sheets) Its boundaries and if I recall correctly also a mask in the group. The TM in softlight mode (I think) and inbetween to colour space shuttles. Lately I edit everything with Raw colour and gamma 1.8. Example >> [PlayRaw] Another view from the mountaintop - #19 by chroma_ghost but it would crash latest PhF version!! the latest (hoji) 20190123 opens it fine

So, I was thinking that it would probably make sense to combine the two in a single tone-mapping module, where the compression and tone mapping steps are accessible from a single UI pane

That’s sounds neat :ok_hand: