new or updated G'mic filters

Is there a way to identify which are the new/updated filters after having clicked on the “internet update” botton?
Thanks

No, but the authors usually add the updated date in the description.

Thanks, maybe this info (list of newest/updated filters) could be added in info in some way-

Perhaps I dreamt it, but I thought somebody maintained a web page list of GUI filters which highlighted changes. I can’t find it, so maybe imaginary :thinking:

Otherwise, it looks possible to make use of parse_gui and/or parse_cli in a script. It would be nice if a small popup appeared after update, listing changes… but that really is dreaming!

The real solution could be filter writers adding news on each g’mic version post. I think David suggested that already, but I’m guilty of not doing it.

Edit: also, hello again @dinasset !

Thanks and hello to you too, garagecoder !

1 Like

I try to announce new filters whenever possible. @afre does that as well.

Thanks, but my quetion is different.
You know there is a button at the end of G’mic panel under Gimp.
Every time you want, you may click on it and on internet to “update” the current release. At this point it would be nice to know what has been added/updated.

The answer is no.

Right now, all one could do is announce their new filters in a thread. There is also checking github repository.

There are 5 active developers here and their news:

1- @afre - afre's G'MIC diary - #168 by afre

2- @samj - samj Créations

3- @garagecoder - No news source outside of github/gmic-community

4- @Reptorian - Reptorian G'MIC Filters - #613 by Reptorian

5- @David_Tschumperle - Either at twitter or new threads here.

Maybe some more to add to that list who are active (e.g. Karo, Iain - github contrib stats shows it).

It wouldn’t be terribly hard to make a filter which saves a filter list to a file and does a diff on request, but that only solves the problem of new or removed (not updated). I suppose you could even save entire filter definitions and compare, but that’s getting a bit messy.

1 Like

That’s actually a clever idea. I think doing such a filter should be possible indeed, and naming it About / What New or something similar. The cool thing is that this list of new filters would be personalized for each user.
I’ll think about it. Command parse_gui seems perfect to handle that kind of stuffs.

This is a part of what I meant by tagging and being able to query certain tags like version numbers or updated dates.

I also want to point out something that is obvious to devs but not so to non-devs. Some of the changes aren’t that interesting or could simply be a touch. Those wouldn’t be of interest to users, especially if the edits were for every single filter. Sort of like how @patdavid is apparently annoying the heck out of us with occasionally making us see old pixlsus articles on the forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We could change update date if there is significant changes. I normally only update the update date if there has been significant changes on my filter. If it is bug fix or cosmetic fix or code cosmetic fixes, I don’t announce it normally, and even if I did, I don’t update the update date as it’s not that big of a update. What I’m saying is that I think update date and/or gui changes should be what determines news-worthy update.

Right now, my plan is only to detect:

• New filters.
  • Deleted filters.
  • Renamed filters (equivalent to ‘Deleted’ and ‘New’).

I think these info are the ones that are useful for people.

New filter About / What’s New? has been added.
It will list the added and deleted filters from your last visit (to the filter).

When you first run it, you got then a list of all the available filters in the plug-in.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, David!