New repository of pre-compiled GIMP plug-ins (Linux + OSX)

Recently I have been asked to provide an OSX version of my PhotoFlow GIMP plug-in. The job turned out to be a bit more difficult than expected, but I finally managed to resolve all the dependency conflicts and provide a pre-compiled plug-in that runs fine with the latest GIMP DMG package.

While working on that, I got the impression that the situation of pre-compiled GIMP plug-ins for the 2.10.x versions is rather confused, especially for non-Linux operating systems. @partha is providing all-inclusive GIMP+plug-ins bundles, but I think it would be nice to maintain and update the plug-ins separately.

So I decided to try helping on this, and created a GitHub repository were to collect all the code, patches and scripts needed to compile and create binary packages for your favorite GIMP plug-ins.

The work has just started, focussing at the moment on OSX. As a proof-of-concept, I have prepared binary packages for PhFGimp and G’MIC, the latter being much more complicated due to the Qt dependencies.

Notice that the plug-ins are automatically compiled and packaged on Travis CI, so that anyone can have access to the infrastructure and eventually contribute.

Using the binary plug-ins for OSX is rather simple. All one needs to do is download the corresponding archive and extract the contents in one of the following folders:

• $HOME/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins if GIMP is installed in its default location (/Applications/GIMP-2.10.app)
  • in @GIMP_APP@/Contents/Resources/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins in the other cases, where @GIMP_APP@ must be replaced by the path to your GIMP app bundle.

The current version of the PhFGIMP ad G’MIC OSX plug-ins should be compatible with OSX 10.8 or higher, and with GIMP 2.10.6 or higher. However, this is still highly experimental, so do not take for granted that they will work for you as well. On the other hand, I need your help for testing and improving the packages, and eventually make them rock-solid!

One known issue in my OSX G’MIC plug-in package is that automatic updates of the filters definitions do not work (yet) - but I think I already know the fix for that.

Feel free to suggest other plug-ins to be added to the repository, and do not hesitate to contribute if you have good ideas!
On my TODO list I already have NufRAW and “liquid rescale”.

One of the next steps will be to provide the same for the Linux AppImage, and maybe also binary packages for Windows.

Suggestions are welcome…

Have a good editing!!!

2 Likes

A pre-compiled MacOS package for the LiquidRescale plug-in for GIMP 2.10 is now available for download from here. It should be compatible with MacOS 10.9 or later.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems…