New RT/ART thread

We should start a new thread regarding RT/ART. @stuntflyer had asked me what feature from RT I might use in ART. See below. Here goes.

I use LAB Adjustments for most of my RAW editing. I see it in ART, but not the option to adjust H/L/C selectively with the equalizer. I use Color Toning to a lesser extent. I’m also not seeing Capture Sharpening anywhere. Those are just a few features I use regularly. I get what you’re trying to do with ART (create a RAW editor with a simpler interface) but I find myself looking for things that just aren’t there.

One thing I wish you would steal from RT is RT’s Capture Sharpening! It works well and I find it negates the need for additional sharpening for most of my pictures. A really good feature.

2 Likes

I’d second what Ed says here, and add that the folder navigation in the Mac build is bloody awful.

Hello, I’m not sure about this, but I thought RT’s Capture Sharpening is called Output Sharpening in Art, located in the Transform tab. It has some different sliders though, so I don’t know if this is really the same (but adapted) module.

We’re getting pretty off-topic here…

1 Like

RT CapSharp comes immediately after demosaicing in the pipe - this can be classed as INPUT sharpening - totally different from output sharpening.

2 Likes

Absolutely :+1:

I had never heard of ART until this thread and I have to say that it’s pretty damn good.

2 Likes

It is good. And it would be a more viable, long-term solution for me if it included RT’s more advanced color editing features. In fact, I’ve been using some of those so much lately that they seem basic, must-have’s.

Yeah, it seems to use some alternate tools. It also has some real strengths, like EXIF lens corrections.

Rick,

Can you let us know which features you are referring to.

Thanks

1 Like

@stuntflyer @Rick @Barugon Please start a new topic for this. This thread is not about ART, nor about any specific features of RT that might be ported to ART.

5 Likes

@Andy_Astbury1 @Thanatomanic @Barugon @Rick @fasteddie @stuntflyer @paulmatth

I moved the off-topic posts to this new thread. Hope it didn’t introduce any issues. If you like, edit your posts to help the new flow make more sense.

2 Likes

Not a problem, good that there is the ability to do just that. One minor point, and that is that your edit makes it seem like I was suggesting the move when I wasn’t. I was simply responding to someone else’s request to do so.

You may change the wording if you wish. It is your thread/post after all. The reason I made the edit was because your first link became circular after the move.

1 Like

If my memory serves me correctly, quite a few of them were explicitly removed as one of the first significant changes made when the fork happened.

From: My take on RawTherapee - “Significant restructuring of the processing pipeline, with many tools removed (especially all the “Advanced” ones)”

1 Like

Hello, in my opinion ART is not RT with a simpler interface. ART means Another RT. One of the things Alberto Griggio (@agriggio) stated more than once is that you can do everything with the tools in the Local Editing section that you can with the tools in Exposure, Details, Color and Special Effects (the tools in ART, not RT).

Perhaps a nice idea, if you’re interested. Edit one of your raws in RT and put the result here, together with the raw. I’ll try to replicate your result in ART.

1 Like

same this is the first I’ve heard of it. I use RT daily at work so for sure looking into it!

My posts were moved from a thread in RawTherapee, so they may seem a bit out of context here.

1 Like

Maybe, but then I can imagine that conversation devolving into a discussion about how close your edit was to my own intentions.

Good point. And that’s kind of my hesitation to move to ART.

Absent a timely update, if a day comes when I’m no longer able to use RT because of OS compatibility issues, I’ll need to take a look at my options and just go from there.