New Sigmoid Scene to Display mapping

I think in the scene its infinite and I guess some day the number will be greater than 65000 for capture although never infinite so I suppose there is a degree of future proofing??? You may raise a good point though is that “future proofing” in any way impacting the way data in a 0-65000 window processed. I always thought the idea was to make it work no matter the physical bounds theoretically up to infinity??

@priort and @MarcoNex the zero to infinity part does not introduce any extra complexity, it’s just the case that the function supports this range. The curve converges towards the user-defined display white and black targets with contrast defining the rate of convergence. The kind of free lunch you sometimes can get.

@johnny-bit I have taken the time to learn filmic (now I know its source code as well:sweat_smile:) so I’m trying to take some learnings from that with me when exploring this approach. Please try what I have done. Begin with the python based homepage that I did for making it possible for others how the tone curve behaves! https://share.streamlit.io/jandren/tone-curve-explorer Then compile the PR and run some of your own pictures through it.
On the topic of integrating it in the filmic module, let’s wait and see what the consensus is later, it’s easier for me to continue this development in a separate module for now. Reduces the risk for merge conflicts and I can destroy things however I like :wink:

@Pascal_Obry Thanks for standing up for a positive environment! I only want this to be merge if it meets and exceeds all darktable requirements for what a scene to display mapping should do. If it doesn’t, well that’s that. What I do expect is some good feedback, testing, and constructive critique, really no use in trying otherwise :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The data coming from the camera may be bounded to whatever the bit-depth of the camera can encode (and the sensor can provide), but while processing an image in Darktable, that range can change, through use of any number of operations. Having the range unbounded ensures that you can’t accidentally “cut off” the top range of your data by e.g. increasing exposure in one module, then reducing contrast in another. If you were operating with limited numbers, you’d be clipping highlights all the time, by accident.

…and of course there’re also “true” HDR images with dynamic ranges way above what 16-bit integers can encode.

2 Likes

Could I maybe ask you for some help?
I’m continuously trying out the sigmoid mapping on my pictures in search of a picture where the sigmoid does not work but I’m not finding any. It would be awesome if you could share some pictures where you feel like the filmic module really saved your butt as it would be interesting if the skew log-logistic could deliver at the same level!

I have found one problem so far, some blown-out highlights can be hard to push all the way to display white with the sigmoid as they aren’t as bright as they should be. Not too worried about that though, as it rather highlights the need for an improved highlight reconstruction workflow in darktable than a problem with the actual mapping.

Here are three pictures for you to look at while waiting for more coding updates:
IMG_5719.CR2 (22.1 MB)

IMG_5973.CR2 (23.6 MB)

IMG_5990.CR2 (27.7 MB)

1 Like

nice images. how to merge the sigmoid module to darktable. I would like to try it. i am ok using git to pull the source.

Thanks, @eyedear, and lovely that you want to test it!

You do not need to merge it, just checkout the branch. There are some suggestions at the beginning of this thread, I would suggest just do a fresh clone of my fork for the least amount of git work: GitHub - jandren/darktable at sigmoid_tone_mapping

As for compiling and using, please install as a dev version as it will fuck up your database otherwise. See the darktable main Readme.

And then just fire away! Note that the parameters aren’t fully orthogonal yet so you will need to adjust the contrast after adjusting the skew to maintain the contrast from before. Looking forward to your comments, especially if you find images where it struggles! Weird edge cases are my favorites :laughing: Seriously, those are the once where you find bugs and problems!

1 Like

Of course it is always possible to fine tune curves and improve interface but let me add something to this discussion that has not been touched on earlier. Filmic has for the first time forged a real and important link between the camera and the software. The mid-gray (18%) that the camera perceives is used as a default fulcrum for filmic processing. This is important concept that should be maintained
Of course the results from filmic are not always perfect but it generally it works exceptionally well and certainly is a vast improvement over the hit-and-miss results that a tone curve may produce particularly for those who have lesser experience.
Filmic on the ‘scene’ tab is very simple and can produce good results with a large percentage of input images. Other tabs allow for more complex situations. Let’s not provide so many ‘front-end’ options that users are once again required to design a custom curve for each and every image.

1 Like

Hi @davidvj!

I get your concern about introducing another module might cause confusion but I think it should be fine as long as they are consistent on their main principles. I’m for example staying true to the fixed middle grey at 18% with the experiments I’m doing here. I definitely encourage you to try out what I have so far if you know how to compile darktable yourself. It’s really hard to show the effect with just images here on the forum!

I think the advantage of using a sigmoid-like function as the skew log-logistic function is that it will always return a “proper” curve regardless of user settings. This should dramatically reduce the risk for hit and miss experiences.

3 Likes

darktable is about having options. There’re also a couple of denoising modules, so if there’s a good solution why not integrate it? Especially when this is not just requested to be implemented by developers focussing on different concepts but provided as a pull request…

2 Likes

We don’t use all the tools in the shed for every project but having a variety is handy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The photos you’ve showcased with Sigmoid look excellent which makes me want to give it a shot to compare with Filmic.

I’m just not ready to spend hours trying to set up my system to compile Darktable. Could you, or someone else, provide either a Mac (Catalina) or Windows dev build?

I absolutely agree.
Why not a global “scene tonemapping” (or any other name fwiw) with a drop-down : filmic, magic (aka sigmoid), etc.?
As much as I love filmic, alternative is always good! And even if it’s not theoretically perfect for HDR displays, which are yet to come and/or be handled by linux, let’s enjoy it for the next 5 years or do!

current master + vectorscope + diffuse + sigmoid: darktable-3.5.0+1347~g31bd9f27d3.dmg
built with sdk 10.15.
Not recommended for productive work since it contains wip modules.
Backup your darktable config directory since there’s a database update and so no way back.

2 Likes

because it’s not that simple - the couple of sliders in filmic aren’t there just to annoy users :wink:
darktable keeps old modules for compatibility - so if you need to provide a new “scene tonemapping v25” to adapt it to latest theoretical conditions that became practical (You remember Bill Gates: “640 kB ought to be enough for anybody.”) you need to maintain also v24, v23, … and keep them in the codebase …

@MStraeten Very appreciated for the build.

Initial Impressions:

I can’t speak to the math and physics behind the two modules and how theoretically robust either are, but having used filmic RGB on thousands of images in the past year, I’m very impressed that I’m getting better looking images in less time with Sigmoid. I have watched all of Aurelian’s videos and read his major posts on Filmic so I feel confident I am using it correctly, but it’s the number one module that causes me frustration. Flipping between scene and look tabs is a royal pain, and I’m noticing that I have to touch at least 4 sliders on both tabs in filmic to get approximately the same result as what I’m getting in Sigmoid. Another problem I often encounter with filmic is the middle tones saturation tends to push nasty oranges into my images. I regularly need to go back to filmic and knock it down, and then I have to go back to color balance and resaturate. I’m not seeing those colors in Sigmoid. It’s all a major time suck to spend my life in Filmic, keeping it from causing weird issues later in the pipeline, when I really just want to be focusing on the creative edits that make my clients happy.

As someone who has a fledgling photography business, I’m finding that editing speed is just as important as quality. Filmic is one of the major reasons I often think about switching to Capture One or Lightroom, but most of the rest of Darktable is fairly good in terms of speed and quality. Again, I cannot speak to the math and physics of Sigmoid vs. Filmic, but if they are accomplishing essentially the same thing, and one is both faster and tends to give better images to my tastes, then for me the choice is obvious.

6 Likes

FYI, it (and a few other factors) were why I dumped darktable for RawTherapee. My productivity skyrocketed immediately. darktable is the main reason my family began joking about my camera having “write only memory”… I’ve been avoiding weighing in on this whole conversation, but my general sentiment has been similar to yours.

I hope that @jandren has better luck in his attempts to fix this pain point. I personally gave up. I wasted a month digging through the bowels of dt to try and fix the pain points in my workflow, but it became clear that I had the options of either switching to other software or constantly maintaining a personal fork.

6 Likes

Here’s a very quick comparison using Filmic vs. Sigmoid and some color balance:
IMG_7294.CR2 (30.2 MB)

Filmic:

Sigmoid:

I don’t want to rush a decision too quickly despite my previous comments. Both modules produce very good results, and it is hard to know which one will over time produce better and faster results until I spend more time with them. I do notice that there is a more yellow hue in Sigmoid vs Filmic in a lot of my images in this set which you can see in the face. No idea what that means.

1 Like

I don’t think this is a fantastic test image for either module, very flat lighting, contracted histogram. Base Curve would probably perform just as well on this photo.

Nice to see some testing, and happy to hear that you like the handling and feel of working with it!

The difference in colors is due to the fact that I only implemented crosstalk as a color processing method so far. It’s the method they use in ACES and was easy to implement. You can achieve the same result in filmic by desaturating your image by 4% and then chose none as color preservation mode. There will most definitely be a discussion on how to handle that in darktable. My plan atm is to implement both, test and learn. That is why I have only posted black and white images so far :wink:

I like the image! Very personal and happy moment :heart_eyes: Maybe a bit hard to draw any conclusion from but I’m also struggling with finding images that are both good and show of the math! I think the main difference apart from the color in the face can be seen in the sky and on her cheeks, the sigmoid mapping is more “careful” there. A bit of positive skew would push those areas to a bit brighter values.

As for comparing to filmic, I had appreciated if everyone could try to focus on what you see and keep feelings kind when comparing the two. This thread has already had its share of heated discussions. :fire:

6 Likes

I have had lots to say about comparisons (among software, and in this case, modules) on the forum. In general, use the tool that suits your workflow. I am glad that some of you already find the sigmoid module useful. We have @jandren to thank for that. :slight_smile:

I get that comparisons are inevitable, but if there is a complaint or suggestion (about filmic or another feature), file it in great detail at the appropriate place. There is always room for improvement. However, be sure to make your comparisons as 1-to-1 as possible to help the devs better understand the nature of the problem, which would take more effort.

As I said above with the tool shed analogy, modules (and software) can be used or disused in parallel. I for one use most of them, but naturally gravitate to some more than others. I suppose not everyone has the time or patience for that. For people with zero patience, commercial software is the way to go… No shame in that, though we tend to poke fun at the commercial scene, because we obviously love FLOSS. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes