New Sigmoid Scene to Display mapping

There should probably be more dialog between him and the maintainer before putting any more time into rebasing on current master.

It’s probably in my court partially.

I tried to reach out to devs privately to get some more input on what to do but it’s quite an infected topic so I don’t get much more than that it probably should be merged into filmic. Which is a whole other beast than adding a new module. I then moved to a new city, started a new job started a 2.5-month travel holiday
 So it hasn’t been my highest priority to push this forward right now.

That said, the best organizationally wise would be if one or two current devs wanted to put in some work with making decisions on where to go next and how to do that. That would make it a lot easier to supply a proper PR to the project.

I’m glad that @hanatos has adopted my findings in the meantime :slight_smile:

13 Likes

On my part it is clear
 I said this was not OK at some point but I have revised my thinking. The module has made quite a lot of progress after being reviewed and discussed here. I have not tried it myself though. But many people are expecting it to be merged.

That being said, to me darktable must be a tool for everyone and - thanks to dt design - a module is standalone and won’t interfere with others. We can have it even removed from a module group if one want.

So yes, please go ahead and prepare a PR. I’ll test it and we will discuss there the final details.

I cannot promise but hopefully we can have it in 4.2. How does that sound?

38 Likes

Great to hear this module might be included soon in mainstream.

I had tested it in the past, and I found it very useful for some pictures, and easier to use than filmic with better highlights gradients and not having to fight against highlights compression so much (using other modules downstream).

I am not using it in my day to day editions due to having to have another darktable version and separate databases.

There is more than one way of doing scene to display mapping, so having the option to choose would be great and should not break anything.

3 Likes

We still need an answer from @jandren
 Jakob do you agree with proposing a PR for this module?

1 Like

Nowhere is something like that said

Hey, come on, for me it seems to be nitpicking a bit here. It think @ariznaf refers to @Pascal_Obry writing

I cannot promise but hopefully we can have it in 4.2. How does that sound?

So I read him being very happy about that news, looking forward perhaps having this module in near future.

Please don’t get me wrong. But in my opinion it is sometimes more valuable to just follow the bottom line of a message and keep on talking and discussing open and in a friendly and relaxed tone. Hey, it’s not about surviving here :wink:

1 Like

Yes It is, Pascal said It could be included if the author agrees and proposes It.

Anda to me It sounds great.

‘hopefully 4.2’ means 6+ months. I don’t call that soon :wink:. But it’s better than nothing for sure :).

It’s the soonest that any new feature could arrive in a darktable release.

1 Like

Ir hoy can use te 4.1 snapshots

@jandren : Any news? Has anyone contact with him? It would be a pity to let this die at this stage

I vaguely remember him mentioning to be away for some time like vacation 
 not sure though

Last post (#664) was not so long ago:

1 Like

I think he’s Swedish so July will likely be a month with very little contact.

4 Likes

Hey, all sorry for keeping you in an information dark about my part of this work!
Been out camping for the last couple of weeks, including rafting the Grand Canyon!

I think this is terrific news, and I will start working with the devs on how to merge it.

20 Likes

Glad you weren’t broiled alive, Arizona has brutal temperatures right now!

2 Likes

Yeah, glad there was even enough water to raft!

1 Like

I was thinking just that but you said it
 :smile:

1 Like

Always a landslide to fall back on. :wink:

Any photos to share? :pleading_face:

4 Likes