New tool "Capture Sharpening"

Hi, new RawTherapee user here. I know this is old thread. Not sure if my simple question warrants new thread, so I will just post here.

I have a question why Capture Sharpening is available on some RAW files, but not others.

On my Samsung S23 Ultra DNG file, this option is not available. Under RAW tab, only 2 available sections are available: RAW White Points and Dark-Frame.

I checked my Sony a6400 and Canon 6D RAW files. I do see the Capture Sharpening plus many other sections under RAW tab.

How come DNG file does not have this option? Is this due to limitation of camera or RAW file type (DNG)? Or some other reason?

There are many uses and abuses of DNG… I think some smartphones handle demosiacing differently and so this might bypass the usual ability to use capture sharpening… I am sure someone more qualified about the aligo of that function will be able to cofirm this…

It may be because the DNG is not a raw file or contains unexpected data, such as weird data location within the DNG file container. Capture Sharpening happens after demosaicing, so how it was done should not affect the module’s operations, unless there is something that bypasses it (due to what I suggested above or other reasons).

The best way for you to find help is to upload a sample file for us to investigate. Welcome to the forum!

The most qualified would be @heckflosse , but I haven’t seen him around the forum or GitHub for some time.

Samsung use modified sensor layout and ML demosaicing which they likely or maybe not code into the DNG. I suspect that since capture sharpening comes right after this that the data is just not recognized and so the options are not available… thats my guess…

Here is the DNG file on google drive. In case anyone wants to check it out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q3B9uxMt5HDNmFV3Po_dS12pfU9gkb6R/view?usp=sharing

Darktable doesn’t like that file…

No problem with ART and RawTherapee. But no Capture Sharpening available in both apps.

Not in ART, but it’s there in RT (or am I misunderstanding your statement)?

@lphilpot which version are you using? With this given dng-file, i dont find any function in the RAW-tab in RT5.9-132 (Windows 10):

Edit: the same in 5.8-2840

5.9 on Windows 11. But I didn’t open a DNG – It was a CR3. Apparently that’s the difference.

ah, ic, i was working on the dng-file linked above. Of course, when opening a raw-file, the tab looks like your screenshot.

That file is a Linear Raw (Photometric Interpretation: Linear Raw), so already demosaiced. Capture sharpening works only with non demosaiced files (Bayer/X-Trans CFA).

$ exiftool 20230517_115430.dng | grep Photometric

Photometric Interpretation      : Linear Raw
3 Likes

Thanks for looking into this.