No more RT nightly builds?

Yes, we have access to the website.

OK, so how shall we proceed if we want to attempt a 5.9 release based on build 5.8-3049?
Who is the project leader now?

1 Like

Not sure that making a release without some key people around is a good idea.

1 Like

I agree with Mica.

I really, really want 5.9 to happen but we need to do this in a way that makes everybody, but especially the major developers and maintainers (on a break or not) happy. I do not want to see them completely walk away from RawTherapee just because we couldn’t wait a bit longer and pushed things through. If that was to happen then I’m afraid that RawTherapee would be in very bad water.

At the moment there are, all but 100%, stable development images available for all 3 major platforms. All of these include the major changes that are made over the last ~1.5 years. So there seems to be no reason to rush things in my opinion.

Yes, the Linux nightly build is lacking a bit behind (@Lawrence37 has a alternative if the “old” nightly build doesn’t have what you need and the very latest does). Besides. most people that are active on pixls and use RawTherapee are willing to help when there are (special) install issues that need to be solved.

I don’t understand this sudden push/urge/rush to get to 5.9. The current situation might be a bit strange (using the official stable version is discouraged) but does RawTherapee not work? Are the latest development images lacking major support or has bugs?

So please don’t rush things (but do get a move on :sweat_smile:).

3 Likes

My impression was that there was a fairly strong will (from people here) to release the next version, thus I suggested contributing.

But I agree with what you said: it makes more sense that this is done by the official maintainers.
In the meantime, I’m quite happy with compiling and using the latest dev version :wink:

I hope this is just a temporary bump on the road and that RT development will carry on for many years to come :slight_smile:

Thanatomanic, Lawrence37, paperdigits, et al.:

Thank you for your contributions to clarifying the issues contributing to the current slower pace of updates.

The latest dev version works well with my R5 FF images. I’m comfortable waiting for experienced RT developers to make the decisions about new releases and when a new dev version is useful.

I have been using this new AppImage for some time now but now I see that it cannot be downloaded any more?!?!

Edit: Never mind. Apparently it can only be downloaded if one is logged into Github.

The most recent alternative dev AppImages can now be downloaded here (no GitHub account required): https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/releases/tag/nightly-github-actions. Signed-in GitHub users can still download dev builds and builds from pull requests and other branches from the Actions tab.

4 Likes

I asked a question yesterday, and someone pointed me towards this discussion. I apparently installed Raw Therapee Version 5.8 in February, 2020. I had downloaded it from the Raw Therapee sited to be installed on macOS running an older operating system on an iMac.

I have since switched to a 2018 Intel Apple Mini, which has recently updated to the Monterey OS. Meanwhile, all my work for the past two years was with DxO PhotoLab, and with DarkTable. I’m a “user”, not a “developer”. I certainly wouldn’t know how to compile a new release from source code.

Below is the information on the version of Raw Therapee I’m currently running. Yesterday I simply wanted to check if an update is available. I understand now that the people who create and prepare these updates for distribution are no longer available. For me, I guess this means I will continue what I’ve got, for as long as it continues to work, until/unless a new distribution is posted for macOS.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 08.44.02

These nightly builds are ready to install/use. There’s no need to compile or have developer knowledge.

You mention being on MacOS (12?). I’m not all that familiar with MacOS and don’t know if this can be done but the latest available MacOS version is 5.8-3046 for MacOS 11.3.

This is a few steps behind the very latest: 5.8-3064, which seems to be a Linux only image, but that is a whole lot better then the 5.8 version from February 2020.

The downloadable zip file contains a installable dmg package, so no complicated stuff.

Rawtherapee’s main maintainer seems to be back from a personal hiatus, so if all goes well we might have a new official version in the (very?) near future (keeping my fingers crossed).

Is this what I should click on?
Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 08.58.20

Or should I do something here?

Like I said: I’m not all that familiar with MacOS. That being said:

In general double clicking on the dmg file should start the install process, but looking at the message you posted this does not happen in this case.

This is in INSTALL.readme.rtf that’s part of the zip file:

An unsigned -cli is in the zip along with the .dmg.
You must install the app from the .dmg into /Applications and copy the -cli to your /usr/local/bin.
The -cli will load its libraries dynamically from the app in /Applications.

Not sure if you know how to do this. I don’t, but this might help: 3 Ways to Open DMG Files on Mac. I’m presuming that you need option 2.

Why are you suddenly talking about darktable?

In any case, you should just be able to double-click the dmg and run RawTherapee straight from there (it appears as an icon your desktop). To actually install it, follow these steps: How to Install Software from DMG Files on a Mac

Those installation steps were clear, easy-to-understand, and provided even more detail than I needed - but I read everything anyway, making sure I understood.

I’m not yet ready to get back to processing infrared photos in color, and when I get back to that point, if I haven’t already done so, I will follow your instructions.

I mentioned darktable because it is one of the three editors I feel are important to me, along with DxO PhotoLab5, my main editor, and RawTherapee. PL5 won’t accept images from my Leica M8.2 so I currently use darktable, but when I was shooting in infrared color, RT was my favorite - or photoshop which was a “last resort”.

I guess I will need to verify that RT runs under the latest macOS, Monterey.
When if I switch my Mac Mini from Intel to a new device with the “M chip”, that will be another test.

I should add that with instructions like what you linked to, I would have no qualms about doing it, and might try it later this week anyway, just to reassure myself that I too can do these things.