Nvidia Geforce MX 250 and darktable

Some things do not fit together here. The egg-laying, milk-bearing woolly sow has not found its way into the shop shelfs until today. So, we need plan B.

I’m just :thinking: out loud

1. Keep this thiny laptop and/or get a used one for your parents to carry around.
  2. Get a desktop computer which fits your budget. The recently launched Ryzen CPUs seem to be interesting from budget/performance point of view. Linux support must be checked for the motherboards as they are quite new. Getting a desktop would also offer the possibility to add a GPU later. GPU wise I would not start below a GTX 1660 or the older GTX 1060. Especially, profiled denoise NLM tears down slower cards while editing.

btw. I would freak out on an Acer V3-372. 13" with darktable and RAW editing. :crazy_face:

1 Like

A laptop should not sear your jeans, burn your wrists or make you breakfast. That is why powerful GPUs aren’t found in thin and lights.

1 Like

Anna,

Please keep in mind that a better GPU is not all that is needed to make darktable work faster. The CPU is also important. See these clockings (where lower numbers = faster execution). The same benchmark has been used on all combinations:

Screenshot_20191106_202852

MfG,
Claes in Lund, Schweden

1 Like

With the caveat that I don’t use noise reduction often, I edit on a four year old i5 desktop and raw files from the d850 don’t seem that slow to edit to me. Sure, CPU only isn’t blazing fast, but it is way more than acceptable.

1 Like

Well I am a patient person. I think speed is not that bad if I have less than 10 instances. Also darktable 2.7/3 seems to be slower than darktable 2.6.
So if the Geforce MX 250 isonly 2-3 times faster than my current computer it’s ok for me, I’d count that as an improvement.

Here is an interesting comparison:
https://technical.city/en/video/HD-Graphics-520-vs-GeForce-MX250

MfG,
Claes in Lund, Schweden

3 Likes

Great, thanks a lot! How did you find this?

Moinchen!

Ho-hum. Would you believe skill??? :-))))

1 Like

I bought it. Performance seems to be much better but it is loud - fan is almost always on, and I feel on my legs that it is always warm. The old one’s fan was almost always off. And it is uglier.
Apparently I will need to install Debian testing, Buster does not boot.
But it is really slim and light.

@betazoid Probably, your laptop has dual graphic cards. If so, you should configure some of the alternatives to turn off the second card while not using it, so you can save energy and have a cooler and quieter system when not doing stuff that requires it.

1 Like

omg darktable is lightning fast with opencl

4 Likes

well the Nvidia driver brings a gui app with which you can select which GPU you want to use. Apparently it is easy

1 Like

Apparently the Nvidia card really needs a lot of battery power. When on, my battery is empty after a little more than one hour. When off, it lasts for at least 5 hours.

That why they invented Optimus architecture :wink:

1 Like

LOL stating the obvious?

1 Like

Has someone experience with installing the Nvidia driver on Debian testing (Bullseye)? So far I have failed because of unsolvable dependencies.

Hi Anna,

No, I have no experience in that particular GPU – but I have installed Nvidia drivers for other GFXs (and sometimes that is a tricky business, especially if the distro believes that nouveau is sufficient…)

Debian testing/Bullseye … isn’t that supplied with nvidia 430.64? According to https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/153714 driver 430.64 ought to work!?!

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Schweden

1 Like

Yes, but I could not install 430 because of those unsatisfied dependencies.

Did Bullseye tell you what was missing?

nvidia-settings is not even in the repo