OpenCL with Nvidia RTX3070

Todd, thanks mate! Found it! And yes, that fixed the issue.
Merry Christmas one and all!

1 Like

Well done…pretty sparse instructions on my part…really glad you got sorted… Have a wonderful holiday……

Thanks mate, you too! Sorry for the late reply.
But, the issue is back… again!
I deleted the mipmaps folders which forced dt to recreate them, but that has not resolved the issue this time.
Exports are back to a snail’s pace. :frowning:

Sorry to hear that… Not being a Linux guy I don’t know the nuances of all this opencl driver trouble. On windows its just Nvidia driver and good to go…

Bruce, wouldn’t you be better off with a more traditional distro? (K)Ubuntu comes out with a new release every 6 months, and it’s been pretty low-maintenance and reliable for me.

1 Like

Hi,
I just switched back from Linux Mint to Ubuntu ( 23.10 currently) just because of the build issues I observed with the Ubuntu 22.04-based Mint 21.2.
Building with 23.10 works without any issues as soon as build essentials and dependencies were installed. So yes, I would also tend to advice a switch to Ubuntu.
I had Manjaro in the past, but the rolling distro killed from time time time stuff and needed more maintenance as Ubuntu. So I am back at Ubuntu… Yes, distro-hopping can be some sort of passion :wink:

The problem is, I don’t know what I don’t know.
Which distros have a rolling release methodology, and which ones are long term?
Is there such a thing as a middle ground?
WHY does manjaro break my darktable installation every couple of days?
And as for which distro to jump to… there’ll be as many suggestions as there are people on the internet. Everyone has a favourite, and for differing reasons.
I followed Coding Dave’s advice because he knows plenty about linux. But perhaps he didn’t take into account my lack of understanding about how to keep a system current AND stable.

#1 According to distrowatch… for whatever that is worth… one reviewer called it a bastion of sanity… thought you might need that right now… :slight_smile:

Ubuntu and its derivatives are not rolling release distros. You get small incremental updates daily, but most of those are backwards compatible security or bug fixes. Then, every 6 months there’s a new release. Some of them are LTS (long-term support) versions – that is what Mint is based on. I don’t recommend staying on LTS, as they don’t receive library feature updates, which is good if you want to run a server or a basic desktop hassle-free for years, but not so good if you want to compile quick-moving, development versions of applications.

Ubuntu is one of the most widely use distros, so help is usually easy to find.

The annoying thing is that lately they are pushing ‘snap’ packages, which are somewhat sandboxed, and when they make errors with the integration, suddenly Firefox (packaged as a snap) sees ‘a different file system’ than the rest of the apps. However, snap can be disabled for good, and a native Firefox package is also available.

MX is based on ‘Debian Stable’. I haven’t used MX, and have also not used Debian for well over a decade. I think it’s also one of the stability-centred distros, so may not be the best option for bleeding edge software. If that is not the case, I’m sure Debian users will correct me. If I remember correctly, some of the devs are actually on Debian.

1 Like

The second option for being “stable” would be fedora.

I know some people on this forum advocate rolling distros but if you look at the number of issues, never do that except you are willing to pay the price - much more manual maintenance work - for beeing on the very latest software and maybe a few percent of perf gain.

2 Likes

István, Todd,
Thanks for the info on Ubuntu and MXLinux respectively.
Having read the distrowatch review on the current build of MXLinux, I’m going to give that a go.
Should that not prove itself, I’ll make Ubuntu my next stop.
I should state that I am NOT a serial distro-hopper. I want to find one distro which does what I need it do, and can do it with a minimum of fuss, and that will be my home for the long term.
While I’m sure Dave had his own valid reasons for pointing me to manjaro, its just not for me.
Onward and (hopefully) upwards…

1 Like

Before you install a distro on yor machine, you can install it in a VM (VirtualBox), and try it there.

I keep / and /home on different partitions, even though I hardly ever switch distros. That way, it’s easier to wipe and reinstall the OS in case disaster ever strikes.

hi Bruce,
recently i built a new desktop with rtx 4060 and i too had similar challenges in setting up the drivers & opencl for dt. i was using arch linux and i failed to set it up on the new set up initially . what i did was i have booted from the manjaro iso ; i have chosen manjaro because i read that it can automatically detect nvidia drivers and is also arch based. once it gets booted up, i have checked the nvidia drivers loaded and i started from there. after installation of arch i have additionally installed all those drivers manually and the opencl too; it is working fine . just sharing an info…
chandra

István, yeah, I do the same (root and home on different drives/partitions).

I used Manjaro for two years, but it broke in some terrible ways during that time. I’m on Tumbleweed now and it’s OK. Getting NVIDIA working was a mess.

I’m building a new machine and will be trying the immutable Universal Blue on that one. It should be crazy stable, based on Fedora. They have images with NVIDIA drivers built in. The core system is untouchable and this would be the perfect distro for someone who wants a stable system that will just work “forever” and does not want to tinker. You’d be using Flatpaks for darktable and other GUI apps, Distrobox for CLI apps.

However, this thing is not traditional in any sense and I recommend starting with this video and then checking out Jorge Castro’s YT channel if you’re interested.

1 Like

Universal Blue is intended to be used as a container OS, to deploy server apps. There are no security fixes (any fix means replacing the OS image).

This is the first paragraph on the uBlue home page:

This is a collection of container images using Fedora’s support for OCI/Docker containers as a transport and delivery mechanism for operating system content. That’s nerdspeak for the ultimate Linux client: the reliability of a Chromebook, but with the flexibility and power of a traditional Linux desktop. At long last, we’ve ascended.

The intention is very much to bring the image based “cloud native” approach to the desktop.

I’ve been running the kinoite-main image in a VM for the last month and it works beautifully. I’m getting ready for a real installation.

So, the OS image gets replaced? :slightly_smiling_face:

OK, sorry. I stopped reading at ‘OCI/Docker container’, which, for me, is a server-side technology.

It was a server-side technology, Universal Blue brings it to the desktop and it’s the most awesome thing to happen to Linux in a very long time IMO. :slightly_smiling_face:

That might be the case. Yet - here you suggest / recommend something very new and experimental for generic use…

Not a good idea at all I would say, who’s going to help if something goes wrong?

1 Like