Optimal 16bit HDR panorama workflow

Microsoft does it all

Support for input images with 8 or 16 bits per component
Ability to read raw images using WIC codecs (I’ve tried this; you can read RAW files directly)
Automatic exposure blending
Wide range of output formats, including JPEG, JPEG XR, Photoshop, TIFF, BMP, PNG, and Silverlight Deep Zoom

The default tone mapping in RT doesn’t shift colours to the usual tone mapping style unless CIECAM02 is enabled. The default brightens images markedly though.

There are several approaches to tone mapping for both a natural look and the other. There was a very capable photographer called Colin that used to hang around on cambridgeincolour helping people with post processing. He was very photoshop. I think he would suggest different exposures on the shot that was posted by the OP.

More than 3 can be taken and if exposures are correct shadow and highlight compression etc may not be needed. Generally 6 clean stops can even be expected from a camera jpg. Raw circa 10 with some work. Some would say more on raw. Some people try hdr using +/- 1 which on a decent camera is likely to be pointless so it all comes down to what the plus and minus should be, even should they be equal or even more than 3 shots. Then how bright do the dark parts need to be etc to gain the overall effect that is wanted. Things can go as far as making everything look evenly lit.

I’ve been more interested in HDR since I started shooting mirrorless as the clipping can be seen. I sometimes take 2 shots of things to subsequently merge. :slight_smile: Might get a decent image worth finishing one day. I’ve also played around with the idea. I managed to loose my processed photo’s so can’t post any examples.

I think the shots needed at least another stop to bring up the shadows - :flushed: forgot to mention that.

Hope you don’t mind but I am going to post a bit of rework of the shot here

As an example of how easy it is to use a particular feature most pp software has. :slight_smile: Not that we will get it.

John