OSX Compiling Issue from git pull

It is not, it’s just that till now we had DMGs and it would be nice to stay consistent, but if creating them is a hassle (and opening them in Linux is a hassle) and if they don’t provide any benefit to the user then not using them is fine.

I don’t know what Finder is. Will macOS users know what to do with this zip? Do we need installation instructions? If so, could you write them here?

Correct.
A copy of the AboutThisBuild.txt file must be placed next to the actual ZIP (or DMG or whatever) and then both of these need to be zipped again. This is a requirement for the mechanism on our website which then extracts the info from AboutThisBuild.txt and uses it to show details on our downloads page. We won’t need it when a new RawTherapee website goes live, but for now we still need it.

[Morgan_Hardwood] Morgan_Hardwood
http://discuss.pixls.us/users/morgan_hardwood
December 4

partha:

If DMG is requirement for you, I will look into it.

It is not, it’s just that till now we had DMGs and it would be nice to
stay consistent, but if creating them is a hassle (and opening them in
Linux is a hassle) and if they don’t provide any benefit to the user
then not using them is fine.

I personally don’t see any benefit from it. If others have any opinion
on this, please chime in.

partha:

I don't think we need DMG since the Finder is quite capable of
unzipping the App where you downloaded it.

I don’t know what Finder is. Will macOS users know what to do with
this zip? Do we need installation instructions? If so, could you write
them here?

Yes. Mac users will know what Finder is. (it’s the default file
manager). Yes, they will know what to do with the zipfile. Besides I
also provide all the instructions needed. And I did write the
instructions here. :slight_smile:

partha:

This is the same information in the about > Version menu item,
right? Note that once you unzip, this text file won't be part of
the App at all.

Correct.
A copy of the AboutThisBuild.txt file must be placed next to the
actual ZIP (or DMG or whatever) and then both of these need to be
zipped again. This is a requirement for the mechanism on our website
which then extracts the info from AboutThisBuild.txt and uses it to
show details on our downloads page. We won’t need it when a new
RawTherapee website goes live, but for now we still need it.

No problems. I’ll do so.

I have updated my build. There are no functional differences from the previous build. You don’t need to download if you have already done so.

Please download it here:
http://www.partha.com/temp/RawTherapee_OSX_10.8_4.2.1408_gtk3.zip

Installation
Use Finder to unzip. When you unzip, you will find 2 files: 1. AboutThisBuild.txt and 2. RawTherapee-gtk3.app. You may move the app to your personal Application Folder or the System Application Folder. Then double click on the app to start.

Please provide feedback if any.

Enjoy.

Thanks
Partha

2 Likes

The new build is live:
http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

Hey, thanks for the new build. On my Mac no option to change the Gui. I copied the themes from an earlier download to the new one, but no solution. No option to change the font.
My profiles are unavalable.
The tools opened/closed in a tab are all opened again after a restart of RT.
Same problem with the size of the window. On opening up a small window. After resizing and restarting RT : small again.
Maybe there’s a simple solution for this : I will be glad to hear from you.

Can you also provide the earlier download-version on the website please ?

No offence, but I will keep using my previous version.-

Can anyone else confirm what Peter wrote? Not only in macOS but in other operating systems too.

Hi @peterdb

1. Delete, rename or otherwise isolate what you did so that the new version does not use anything from your old build(s).
  2. Download and install the new build again.
  3. [quote=“peterdb, post:25, topic:2602”]
    I copied the themes from an earlier download to the new one
    [/quote]

DON’T do that.

What does this mean?

Correct, the font is inherited from your system-wide GTK+ font setting.

From memory (I don’t have RT in front of me right now), this works correctly in both Linux and Windows, so if it’s true then it’s a bug. Where did you try this, in the File Browser or Editor? Single or Multiple Editor Tab Mode?

Window size not remembered after restart - could be a bug or just a missing macOS feature. @Hombre do you know?

Sorry for the late response. Have been very very busy. :frowning:

Echoing what Morgan said, please provide some additional information if you can.

Also, with this build, you will find a log is generated when you run the App.

Please open your Terminal app. Carefully type the following:

cp /tmp/runRT-4.2-*.log ~/

Now in Finder, you will see a log file in your home folder called runRT-4.2-(a long series of number).log. Please provide this file to us or send it by email to me.

@partha or anyone, how does one change that in macOS or Windows?

I can check that when I get home, but I’m pretty sure Apple has selected the optimal font for everyone, so why change it :wink:

@Morgan_Hardwood, sorry what are we changing here? I am confused.

Hello
I searched for ~/.config/ as indicated in the Rawpedia. I found two folders : ‘Rawtherapee4’ from the earlier build and a new one ‘Rawtherapee’. Copying my profiles from ‘Rawtherapee4’ to ‘Rawtherapee’ solved the issue about not finding my profiles. I don’t remember on my Windowsmachine that there was a new folder with each new installation.

The issue about opened/closed tabs seems magically solved to. (?) I’ve tested Single Editor Tab Mode and Multiple Editor Tabs Mode without a problem.

What remains : on every start-up the RT-window is downsized. No big deal.

What’s left : how can I get the old themes to work in the new build or isn’t this possible ?
I thought on Windows this could be done by copying them to the Themes-folder. Not so on MacOS or is it just the new build ?

Earlier I’ve reported that scrolling in the tool-tabs was to fast on MacOS in the previous build. This is solved in the new build : thanks !

Keep up the good work, guys.

@partha how does one change the font used by the GTK+ system-wide theme in macOS (and Windows)?

As I mentioned, please attach/send me the log file so I can look into this?

This is built on gtk3. So, changing themes is not as simple as copying old themes over.

@Morgan_Hardwood,

OS apps are self contained. I suppose we could be set up to read a configuration file at startup. I’ll look into this?

Thanks,
Partha

Hello Partha,

Do you mean the log file in Console on MacOS ?
This is the one on starting up RT :slight_smile:
subsystem: com.apple.SkyLight, category: default, enable_level: 0, persist_level: 0, default_ttl: 7, info_ttl: 0, debug_ttl: 0, generate_symptoms: 0, enable_oversize: 0, privacy_setting: 0, enable_private_data: 0

Sorry, are you running RT from a console? How are you doing that? It is setup as an App.

Another issue : In the tool-tabs and elsewhere there are minus-signs, but no plus-signs. For example to rise Exposurevalues. Instead of the (blue) plus-sign, there’s a white little square.

Another problem in the browser, left side, folder-structure. When you want to open the tree-structure of a folder, clicking on that folder doesn’t do anything. Clicking a bit of hte left side of the folder opens it. Should there be a plus-sign or something ?

Fairly new to Mac, but Console is an app on apple Computers. It’s a Logviewer.
I’m not sure what you want me to do, asking for the logfile. I’m not a computerwizzard :slight_smile:

@partha the apps may be self-contained but there still should be a way to define a system-wide common GTK+ theme for all GTK±using apps so that everything looks the same. In this place there should be a way to set the system-wide GTK+ font and font size. It could be that there is a package for macOS which takes the font settings the user set in the Mac control panel and automatically creates a GTK+ translation, the same way that happens when a user configures their system-wide font in KDE Plasma and the relevant GTK+ file is automatically created so that GTK+ apps look the same as Qt-using KDE apps.

@peterdb showing screenshots would help. As for the log file, carefully follow Partha’s instructions OSX Compiling Issue from git pull - #27 by partha

[peterdb] peterdb http://discuss.pixls.us/users/peterdb peter
http://discuss.pixls.us/users/peterdb
December 9

Fairly new to Mac, but Console is an app on apple Computers. It’s a
Logviewer.
I’m not sure what you want me to do, asking for the logfile. I’m not a
computerwizzard :slight_smile:

See my post above. It’s clearly stated what I asked you to do. :slight_smile:

Reproduced below for completion:

Open the Terminal app and type the following carefully
cp /tmp/runRT-4.2-* ~/

(Note there are are spaces between cp and /tmp and also between * and ~/)

Now open Finder and you should see a file named runRT-4.2-(a long series
of numbers).log in your home folder. Please send me that file.

Thanks,
Partha