Pale photo, need help

How would that function be different if you are just pushing the histogram?? Just curious

@priort when I look at the histogram for levels in DT it stretches all the way from left to right, but in GIMP there is space on the left and right of the histogram. Auto levels in GIMP raises the contrast and does a color balance by stretching each channel across the histogram. Often this produces a very pleasing result. Sometimes the contrast is a little high so I tweak the output levels to control this.

Compared to GIMP, DT’s auto levels are not as helpful for me.

This is a color space thing…in DT your working in the working profile…you have exported in srgb…so then GIMP gets it as srgb and can boost it…

Do the same thing in DT…import your tiff…now you will see the working profile in DT is likely still Rec2020…change that to srgb to match GIMP now try auto levels…nice and bright like you see with GIMP…

2 Likes

@priort Thanks for your suggestion. However, it didn’t replicate the GIMP result when I tried it. It did give a different result but not as pleasing for me as the GIMP result. Of course this is always subjective what we find pleasing. BTW, I exported my DT edit as a 16 bitt Tiff in Adobe RGB colour space not sRGB.

All good. GIMP also will use linear light or perceptual log and I think the autolevels gives you a different result for each there but this too may be able to be replicated by DT and might explain some of the difference you see between the two…

My version using darktable 4.0

2022-06-26–12.07.26.CR3.xmp (14.5 KB)

1 Like

This is a pleasing result, but I would apply lens correction to reduce the fish bowl look.

1 Like

Great lesson here. Use a Grey card, try different color spaces, use lens correction on wide angle shots. Thanks for all the great ideas.