Peeling Chair - Which way forward?

Here’s a peeling black wooden deck chair against a black railing and lush greenery. Seems begging to become a B&W print, but you may prefer a color treatment.

So many choices as to where to take this RAW to completion.

Using ART, here’s my B&W effort. I decided to darken the trees, add vintage film grain, apply an upside-down graduated filter on the deck floor, and all but remove the stray tool laying on the deck.

Here’s the original RAW:
2022-09-01-001.CR3 (32.0 MB)

And my sidecar: 2022-09-01-001.CR3.arp (25.0 KB)

Perhaps you’d like to see what you can do with this? Enjoy!

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

1 Like

My version in DT

I took the opposite view to you and lightened the trees in the background.

2022-09-01-001.CR3.xmp (12.2 KB)

1 Like

My version…

2022-09-01-001.CR3.xmp (15.3 KB)

1 Like

It works! Nicely done. Helps the railing pop better.

@dqpcoxeas I like the duo-tone. Conveys an autumn feel.

1 Like

When I open your xmp in the latest Windows weekly build, dt crashes. Tried several times.

1 Like

Interesting … I’ve tried to open darktable several times to see if I can replicate the probem. Ironically, each time DT has frozen and locked up my entire system, forcing me to reboot. Other apps seem to work just fine.

Am giving up trying to get DT to function for the foreseeable future (on this newly upgraded Mangaro/Linux platform). :man_shrugging:

EDIT: Having failed on my desktop, I did manage to run Darktable on my Linux latptop (converted from an old MacBook Pro) and successfully import @dqpcoxeas’s .xmp file. Followed along to see the steps taken to produce those results. No longer spend much time with DT but found it to be Interesting stuff.

I do not know what the problem might be…
To add some information.
I am using Linux Mint 20.3 as OS
And my Darktable version is: 4.1.0~git272.5a1a1845-1
I hope this information sheds some light, and if not, here I am for whatever it takes.
Cheers.

Just in case, it helps to decide what the differences are between a running system and one that crashes or freezes.

I have no problems running DT 4.1.0~git373.361385ab-8309.3 on openSUSE Tumbleweed, kernel version 5.19.8-1.

I am running darktable-4.1.0+344~g22d550edf-win64.exe. There will be another build this weekend, and I will try it after I install that.