Photo post / audio analogy - de-yellow night shot

@gaaned92 Thanks, I appreciate your responses.

After much trial and error, I came up with this.

DSC_2981_art_1_09.jpg.xmp (16.4 KB) dt3.3

The cat’s belly now has gray with a touch of red. I used color balance with masking to get the neutralizing color, which is a shade of green. I turned that off to have a result with just channel mixer. The upper right corner is too red, but getting rid of that threw everything else off.

I followed @Soupy’s lead in using linear prophoto RGB as the input profile, but I have no idea what lead him to choose that.

That is my habit now for all pictures, as pro photo rgb is bigger than linear rec 2020. I do flower photography and the benefits are particularly noticeable on flowers with highly saturated red or magenta.

Does the difference show up when you convert to sRGB when you export it as a jpeg?

They do.

Linear rec 2020:
eg1 linear rec 2020

Linear pro photo rgb:
eg2 linear pro photo

Linear rec 2020:
eg2 linear rec 2020

Linear pro photo rgb:
eg2 pro photo rgb

Of course more saturated isn’t always desirable, but I use it as default.

It is noticeable. Do you ever have anything printed? If so, does the difference still show up? Why isn’t pro photo rgb the default?

Sadly not yet. Hoping to cross that bridge next year - just been focusing on digital development this year. But if colour management to the printer was handled correctly I don’t see any reason why the difference wouldn’t show up.

Not sure, it is in Rawtherapee. I was even playing with ACES ap0 for a while, which has all visible colours, but it sometimes produced weird results. I have seen pro photo give a slight blue cast, which could be a deterrent for using it on black and white images, but its very minimal and wouldn’t be noticeable in vast majority of colour images. (This comes back to Elle Stone’s “well behaved” colour spaces , where well behaved basically means ability to visibly produce grey when r=g=b, Are your working space profiles well behaved?) Rec 2020 is better behaved than Pro Photo rgb. That’s about the only advantage I can see that it has for working space. But I’ve no idea if that’s the dev’s reasoning for selecting it as default.

I do not know their reasoning, but ProPhoto RGB going outside of visible spectrum may be one.

Anyways, changing input profile to Rec2020 or ProPhoto are hacks, as we don’t know how the camera RGB space compares. Hopefully, Filmic and the new CAT in Color Calibration should help manage out of gamut colors gracefully.

Another simple attempt at the feline.