PhotoFlow News and Updates

I have fixed the behavior of the cancel button. Now it interrupts the application exit and brings you back to the edited image…

1 Like

Here is a summary of recent activities:

• the enhanced USM branch is now merged into stable, so it is available in the “standard” development packages
  • talking about packages, I have re-named and re-organized the development packages so that finding the latest one for your system should be much easier now:
  • I have fixed few bugs that were introduced by recent changes to the processing pipeline. In particular, the output of tools with interactive control points in the preview area (like the path mask and the gradient) was not correctly updated when adding/moving the control points
  • I have fixed a discrepancy in colors in the RAW developer output between 1:1 and 1:2 or lower zoom levels

Next step will be to merge the simplified pipeline branch into stable, after which I will further focus on bug fixes and UI improvements. The goal would be to have a new release at the beginning of next year…

4 Likes

I am working on the UI layout of the tools dialogs, trying to achieve a more compact and polished look. Here are some examples of the result I have so far:

What do you think? Any suggestions?

1 Like

The label for your combo box needs padding/margin on the left.

I don’t mind the margin / padding.

I would like to see a bit more consistency between panels.
– The graphs look different: one is square, centred and has stuff above it.
– The graphs aren’t labelled.
– Text are sometimes title case, sentence case or lowercase.

Hi.
Not sure if I post this in this topic, but PhotoFlow_git_stable_linux_20191124_1815_bada1.AppImage is crashing when I try to export to jpeg:

PF::Histogram::update(): called
Histogram::update(): image=0x7fc6d45fa660
                     image->Bands=3
                     image->BandFmt=6
                     image size: 189x126
ImageToMapProc::render(): profile=0x25e27a0
ImageToMapProc::render(): colorspace=2
[Histogram::update_histogram] min=0 max=1
[Histogram::update_histogram] emitting signal_queue_draw
PF::Image::do_update(): pipeline #2 updated.
[ImageEditor::on_image_updated_async] emitting signal_image_updated
ImageEditor::on_image_updated() called.
ExportDialog::on_show() called.
  last_saved: 

(photoflow.bin:18722): Gdk-WARNING **: 22:11:48.590: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large
File selected: /home/gustavo/Pictures/playraw/pools of light/DSCF1978.jpg
PF::Image::export_merged(): request.data=0x3337f50
PF::Image::export_merged(): waiting for export_done....
Attempt to unlock mutex that was not locked
Saving image to file /home/gustavo/Pictures/playraw/pools of light/DSCF1978.jpg...
/tmp/.mount_PhotoFaiSP0y/AppRun: line 50: 18722 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$APPDIR/usr/bin/photoflow.wrapper" "$@"

I repeated this attempt two more times with the same result.

The raw is from here. Follows pfi file:
DSCF1978.pfi (41.3 KB)

I am looking into this, not reproducible on MacOS. Is the jpeg file completely written before the crash?

1 Like

Nothing is written, actually.

I have fixed the issue, could you please test the latest package from today? For the records, the problem was introduced by this commit.

It works here, thanks!

1 Like

I absolutely agree! I am currently going through the various tools and trying to clean-up/harmonize the interface.

I have committed a number of improvements to the UI widgets and to the layout of the tool dialogs, trying to get a more consistent, compact and polished look.

Here is a screenshot that shows few examples:

As usual, binary packages are available for download from the continuous integration page.

4 Likes

I think there’s an image being worked on in there, somewhere… :smile:

Been following your progress; I think it’s time for me to try Photoflow again… Nice selection of tools!

Edit: so, which of the CI AppImages is best for an overall try-out?

https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow_git_stable_linux_20191208_1720_68e6e.AppImage

1 Like

As @paperdigits posted, you should take the packages from the “stable” branch. The others were test branches that are now merged into stable. I have now removed the corresponding packages, just to avoid confusion.

3 Likes

Hello Andrea!

Just tested this new build on Windows 10.

One big advantage of PhotoFlow on Windows 10 is that it starts blazingly fast: only a few seconds to show the GUIs :slight_smile:

Some feature requests:

• Add some more basic shortcuts (e.g. ctr+o: to open an image);
  • Add a way to show the name of the first image you open in the GUIs.
    At present, you are forced to open at least 2 images to show the name of the first image, in its tab.

A minor problem is the duplication of 2 different X icons to close the windows.
At present, only one of the 2 works: the red one, on the bottom.

A crash which always occurs is duly reported here:

Another minor issue with this build on Windows 10:
You can not drag any layer on the uppermost position.
The layer you drag above is always pushed back in its original position (GTK bug?)

In essence, let’s suppose I have got:
4. curves
3. basic adjustements
2. Raw develolpment

1. Raw loader

I can not drag the 3° layer on the very top, above the 4° (curves).
At present, the workaround is to drag the 4° tab (curves) below (so that the basic adjustments becomes the uppermost).

Another glitch: many labels are truncated (scale and rotat; basic ajustmen)
Tested on Asus notebook 13 inches as display:

I agree with everything @Silvio_Grosso because I have said it before. :slight_smile:

To add to that, something I mentioned a while ago but can’t locate in the forum: When I close the open window without opening a file, I am left with an empty PhotoFlow main window and console. There is no UI besides the window title bar: my only option is to close the app. Cancel or close should quit the app.

From time to time, I complain about lens correction’s distortion not doing it right. I tend to keep it off because of that, but sometimes I am curious to see what it does. E.g., for [Play Raw] Sacre Coeur → Backlight challenge, the edges on either side get stretched out even more. Doesn’t feel natural, so I turned it back off.

Yes, I will do it, but this will go together with the implementation of proper application menus and integration with the OS (for example, under macOS the Cmd-o shortcut is handled at the system level…).

Since the vertical size of the tab labels is now quite small, I propose to keep the label even if there is only one image opened, so that the file name is always visible.

You mean the tool dialogs? Something works differently under Windows for closing them, compared to Linux and ,acOS. That’s why I have introduced an additional button to close the dialog…

In fact, it doesn’t make much sense to hide the RAW loader or RAW developer layers… probably the best would be to prevent the possibility to hide some layers that should always be visible. What do you think?

No, this is likely a bug from my side. I am looking into that.

No idea why they are truncated, I will check if I find some obvious reason.

I have almost finished implementing a fix for that, you will get the described behavior with the next update.

I have just checked, and RT seems to apply a similar correction. Therefore, at least on this image, what PhF does is likely consistent with the correction provided in the LensFun database:

This doesn’t mean that the LF database has no mistakes in it…

1 Like

I have made the comparison before and sometimes it doesn’t match.

In that case, is there anything that I can do in PF to mitigate that?