PhotoFlow News and Updates

I think there’s an image being worked on in there, somewhere… :smile:

Been following your progress; I think it’s time for me to try Photoflow again… Nice selection of tools!

Edit: so, which of the CI AppImages is best for an overall try-out?

https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/releases/download/continuous/PhotoFlow_git_stable_linux_20191208_1720_68e6e.AppImage

1 Like

As @paperdigits posted, you should take the packages from the “stable” branch. The others were test branches that are now merged into stable. I have now removed the corresponding packages, just to avoid confusion.

3 Likes

Hello Andrea!

Just tested this new build on Windows 10.

One big advantage of PhotoFlow on Windows 10 is that it starts blazingly fast: only a few seconds to show the GUIs :slight_smile:

Some feature requests:

• Add some more basic shortcuts (e.g. ctr+o: to open an image);
  • Add a way to show the name of the first image you open in the GUIs.
    At present, you are forced to open at least 2 images to show the name of the first image, in its tab.

A minor problem is the duplication of 2 different X icons to close the windows.
At present, only one of the 2 works: the red one, on the bottom.

A crash which always occurs is duly reported here:

Another minor issue with this build on Windows 10:
You can not drag any layer on the uppermost position.
The layer you drag above is always pushed back in its original position (GTK bug?)

In essence, let’s suppose I have got:
4. curves
3. basic adjustements
2. Raw develolpment

1. Raw loader

I can not drag the 3° layer on the very top, above the 4° (curves).
At present, the workaround is to drag the 4° tab (curves) below (so that the basic adjustments becomes the uppermost).

Another glitch: many labels are truncated (scale and rotat; basic ajustmen)
Tested on Asus notebook 13 inches as display:

I agree with everything @Silvio_Grosso because I have said it before. :slight_smile:

To add to that, something I mentioned a while ago but can’t locate in the forum: When I close the open window without opening a file, I am left with an empty PhotoFlow main window and console. There is no UI besides the window title bar: my only option is to close the app. Cancel or close should quit the app.

From time to time, I complain about lens correction’s distortion not doing it right. I tend to keep it off because of that, but sometimes I am curious to see what it does. E.g., for [Play Raw] Sacre Coeur → Backlight challenge, the edges on either side get stretched out even more. Doesn’t feel natural, so I turned it back off.

Yes, I will do it, but this will go together with the implementation of proper application menus and integration with the OS (for example, under macOS the Cmd-o shortcut is handled at the system level…).

Since the vertical size of the tab labels is now quite small, I propose to keep the label even if there is only one image opened, so that the file name is always visible.

You mean the tool dialogs? Something works differently under Windows for closing them, compared to Linux and ,acOS. That’s why I have introduced an additional button to close the dialog…

In fact, it doesn’t make much sense to hide the RAW loader or RAW developer layers… probably the best would be to prevent the possibility to hide some layers that should always be visible. What do you think?

No, this is likely a bug from my side. I am looking into that.

No idea why they are truncated, I will check if I find some obvious reason.

I have almost finished implementing a fix for that, you will get the described behavior with the next update.

I have just checked, and RT seems to apply a similar correction. Therefore, at least on this image, what PhF does is likely consistent with the correction provided in the LensFun database:

This doesn’t mean that the LF database has no mistakes in it…

1 Like

I have made the comparison before and sometimes it doesn’t match.

In that case, is there anything that I can do in PF to mitigate that?

Hello @Carmelo_DrRaw

In fact, it doesn’t make much sense to hide the RAW loader or RAW developer layers… probably the best would be to prevent the possibility to hide some layers that should always be visible. What do you think?

First off, in my view, a software should never crash :slight_smile:
Joking aside, right now, IMHO, it is also weird you are allowed to drag up-down in the stack the RawDeveloper and the Rawloader “layers”.

Another little bug occurs on Windows 10 with samplers.
When you put 2 samplers on the same position they are subsequently stuck together and you can not disantangle them.
You are forced to uncheck one of them to “free” them.
And yes, I am aware it doesn’t make much sense to put the samplers on the same exact position in the image :slight_smile:

Here is a video on DropBox with all my steps to reproduce this glitch (copy and paste its link in another tab of Firefox to make it work…):

Unless one wants to input another raw file. I tried to input another raw or image but it didn’t go well in many ways. It was a long time ago but handling multiple image sources might be worth looking into. That or eliminate the possibility altogether.

I suggest we have two things:

1 Shortcut to toggle each sampler point.

2 Option to delete them. This is useful in a few ways: e.g., quick redeployment and a way to recover one if it somehow gets lost. Yes, points used to vanish sometimes; don’t know if it happens anymore.

Hello,
I am a newcomer to Photo Flow. Currently playing it with joy and trying to understand the potential uses.
I just wonder if the minor GUI issue I encountered is known and solved already.

As you see, the blend dialog is seen on the left part underneath the selected module name as well. This happens with all the tools and it does not change by playing with settings. I am on Manjaro Linux with up-to-date packages as of December 14th, 2019).
It may well be a specific problem to my environment. In that case I will be happy to hear any advice to help me fix it. (The version I run is downloaded from the user repository of my distribution, called AUR: photoflow-git r2791.1f79ba11-1)

Welcome! Do not hesitate to ask questions, or describe what you would like to achieve but you do not know how to obtain in practice…

This is indeed a small bug in my widgets layout, due to the fact that you are using a larger font. Anyways, the UI should look OK regardless of the font size. I have fixed the glitch and prepared new packages.
While you wait for the ARCH AUR to catch up with the current stable branch, you can try the AppImage I am providing here. You just need to download the package, make it executable, and run it.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I am surprised to see such a fast response and a change in code. It appears that I will be around for quite some time… asking questions… :grinning:

1 Like

I cannot guarantee such a fast response each time, but I’ll do my best :wink:

2 Likes

I confirm that the latest Appimage fixed the above-described problem. Thanks again.

1 Like

I have pushed some changes to the ICC transform code in photoflow, which fixes some small inconsistencies in dark areas when going from linear to non-linear V4 profiles. The updated code uses my own custom ICC transform code only when going from one linear profile to another, and uses LCMS for everything else. This until I find the way to improve the precision of my custom transforms…

By the way, I am gradually getting back into the photoflow coding business, after some with no spare time at all…

1 Like

Good to hear that you have found more time and motivation. :+1:

Motivation never ceased, spare time is another story… :wink:

2 Likes

Opening this Iridient DNG makes PF crash.

be aware, Iridient DNG files are already demosaiced