PhotoFlow, OCIO and ACES

I think it would be possible to implement a CTL language interpreter… the question is how useful it would, and how many potential users it could have.

If I remember correctly there is an existing library to interpret chk files, so maybe the required work is not really huge.

CTL is the heart of ACES, so an implementation already exists - it just doesn’t seem to be part of OCIO. [ I guess I don’t understand why many other formats are part of OCIO (i.e. CTF), but CTL is left out. ]

Aparently this is no longer working.
The strange thing is that yesterday I was editing with one of the usm appimages and then I added an OCIO ACES layer and it just worked, and I hadn’t set up the variable in the terminal before.
Now, both the latest stable and the usm releases show a black display area when the OCIO ACES layer is active.
I need that layer :smiley:… it gives excelent results in this image I’m working with.

EDIT: Oh, my! OCIO layers no longer exist in the latest release :astonished:
Can’t they be brought back to life?

As implemented so far, there are too many gotchas for me to be comfortable with OCIO in PF. Occasionally, I use OCIO filmic to see what can be juiced out of the raw but I think that is clipped or normalized and also sRGB, so not nondestructive.

So is/was is it meant to be used only at the end of the pixel pipe?
The fact is that with this specific image it really popped things out.

Only OCIO filmic. The other OCIO module is mostly for taking in configurations. I haven’t used the latter in any practical way since it usually crashes on me or gives me those large rectangular artifacts in the preview that show up whenever something goes wrong. You’ve seen those before.

1 Like

I will have a look tomorrow. Indeed OCIO has been removed by mistake from the tools menu, will fix that asap. Then I’ll see if it works or not on my system…

1 Like

I have restored the OCIO tools in the UI, and the ACES config seems to work fine at least on my system:

Indeed, the ACES views are mostly intended to target a given display type, applying some tone-mapping and highlights compression on the way, so they should come at the very end of the pixel pipe…

1 Like

I will try it again when I have the time. Sometimes it works between commits for some reason. Looks like you have cleaned and tightened up the UI aesthetic: I like it.

That’s WIP, I am trying to ficus on the widgets layout, to give then a cleaner and more “professional” look. I hope to merge something usable very soon…

2 Likes