PhotoFlow version 0.2.1 is out

@Dario_M: yes, I think all is clear. Maybe a naive question: the precompiled package is compatible with which Arch linux versions?

Thanks for the help!

64bit only, even if marked as “any” (my mistake)

From pkgbuild, no problem, instead

Make sure you keep the mouse cursor on the same point as you zoom either by the wheel or by double clicking. It’s my biggest annoyance in many programs including RT where it jumps around.

1 Like

@CarVac: double-click-zooming is now implemented in the stable branch. When zooming to 100%, the updated image is centred on the position of the click (or the closest valid match if the double-click is too close to the borders). The mouse cursor remains at the double-click position.

I think this is the most intuitive/logic behaviour, right?

No mouse wheel zooming for the moment, will come in the near future…

@Carmelo_DrRaw: in Filmulator, I have it zoom in on the mouse regardless of where the cursor is, until you drag to pan a bit, at which point it snaps to the edge of the photo. When zooming out, it initially zooms about the cursor, but when finished zooming snaps to the edge if applicable.

I don’t know how easy it is in whatever toolkit you’re using… With Qt Quick it was really easy.

Edit: Elaboration on what Filmulator does:

• Zoom in to 100% by double clicking: it will zoom about the mouse, and if there’s excess border it will subsequently snap to the edge.
  • Zoom in by scrolling: it will zoom about the mouse, and stay there. If you pan even slightly, it’ll snap to the edge if there’s excess border.
  • Zoom out to 100% by double clicking from a higher zoom level: if it shows excess border, it interprets it as you dragging.
  • Zoom out by scrolling: it will zoom about the mouse, and if there’s excess border or you’re smaller than the viewport and off-center it’ll subsequently snap to the edge or center itself if applicable.
  • Zoom to fit by double-clicking while at 100% or from smaller than the fit scale: it centers and fits.

@Carmelo_DrRaw

Cleaner PKGBUILD and precompiled package

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243865/PhotoFlow_PKGBUILD

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/243865/photoflow-git-0.2.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

The standard(*) is Control-mousewheel for zoom in/out, and not plain mousewheel, so there is no need to have a switch/mode for regular scroll or zoom, these are two different interactions.

Yes, corrective and direct rotation are two different animals.

(*) Firefox, Chrome, Gimp, Kate, Dolphin, Gwenview, Okular, Digikam, Libre Office, …

Most programs don’t have heavy use of omnidirectional scrolling, so the mouse wheel is by default used to scroll up and down. Zooming is an uncommon operation, so it’s relegated to a modifier key.

On the contrary, programs that often need omnidirectional panning, such as all CAD packages I’ve ever used, Google Maps, RawTherapee, darktable, and others, scroll to zoom and drag to pan (left-click for the photo editors and maps, usually middle-click for CAD). No modifier keys. (Filmulator behaves like this too, but as I made it this way I’m not counting it)

@carvac: double-click zooming now behaves practically the same way in photo flow

@Ofnuts: ctrl-mousewheel seems to be the best option, since it will still allow two-fingers horizontal and vertical scrolling with track pads (something I use all the time). Middle-click drag-to-pan is also easy to implement, and will not interfere with other mouse clicks used for interactive tool editing…

@Dario_m: do you think you will be able to provide pre-compiled packages for future versions as well?

@Carmelo_DrRaw If there aren’t big change in compiling chain, yes, no big problem.
But I cannot upload the package in AUR because it’s really really really ugly.
This would be good, just because if I can’t follow it anymore, someone will.

I’m trying to “beautify” PKGBUILD so it would go alone.
For example: package version should show the last commit, because when I clone the git repository this is the real version, not the “stable” version.

For the precompiled package, instead, it’s ok, but only if your PKGBUILD point directly to the package repository and not the git repository.

And this is why my package is really cheap :wink:

There might be some misunderstanding on this point: PhotoFlow’s git repository is organised in such a way that the default “master” branch is always in synch with the last released version. Never there will be development in the master branch itself: every commit there corresponds to a new release. So when you clone the git repository you always get the latest “stable” version.

In other words, compiling from the master branch or installing an up-to-date pre-compiled package should provide exactly the same version of the program…

1 Like

And this sentence alone solves a lot of my problem :smile:

Ok, a lot easier, then.

This is actually not my idea, but something I’ve learned from this document.

I’m using now a simplified version of this git branching scheme, nevertheless this is a very interesting and useful reading for anyone who wants to set-up a git repository and maintain it in a coherent way!

@Carmelo_DrRaw are you available to do an interview about your software with Marco’s box, an italian site about FOSS, Linux and so on?
@patdavid, not my site, but if is against the rule, I’ll remove the link

1 Like

Of course, that’s a really nice idea… one of the points that need to be well explained is why I started a new project instead of contributing to an existing one, and what makes photoflow different from the other RAW converters (and closer to The Gimp).

1 Like

That would be really very interesting. But please post an English version too.

@Carmelo_DrRaw absolutely yes!

@Tobias well, the interview will be in english and then translated into Italian, so that should not be a problem :smile:

@Dario_M @Tobias Actually I can write both in english and italian, and this might save some translation work :wink:

Technically, this is a site for everyone. :slight_smile:

I also have few rules and this definitely is not against any of them! Even better would be if you would be willing to share the interview with us to post on the site? Don’t feel you have to, but if you’d be willing to that would be awesome.

@patdavid if Marco, the owners of the site, agree, I don’t see any problem :smile:

1 Like