Pigmented ink, anyone?

My one and only colour printer is a 6-colour Epson XP-960. Very soon I have to buy a new set of ink cartridges and that fact made me investigate how the market looks, nowadays.

Among other things I noted that there is a (non-original) pigmented ink available.

Has anyone got any experience in changing from a dye-based ink to a pigmented one?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

No experience with that. I only know that artist use this type of ink for their giclƩe prints https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gicl%C3%A9e.

According to this, pigment-based inks nowadays have the same benefits which pigment-based inks had in the past (color vibrancy), and more:
https://www.adorama.com/alc/0013006/article/FAQ-Whats-The-Difference-Between-Dye-Based-and-Pigment-Ink

Iā€™d like to hear your experience if you invest in a pigment-based printer, especially as you color-managed it and have the right light source to examine prints.

I run an Epson 1500W (original dye ink) with replacement pigment ink from farbenwerk.com. I am happy with the combination but the lack of a native floss linux driver is annoying. Thereā€™s a meet the gimp episode where I got the hint from.

User space driver situation on Linux is really annoying. I have to use turboprint to make it work.

I used pigment ink in an Epson R2400 some years back and had a devil of a job keeping the head unblocked. I havenā€™t done any printing for a while, and am perhaps out of touch, but Iā€™d say consider if you REALLY need pigment ink. You run the risk of clogging the print head. And there may be little advantage if you consider cost and benefits. Iā€™d suggest have a look at these Jon Cone dye inks - http://www.vermontphotoinkjet.com/products/inkā€¢thirft-professional-dye-ink - I think thatā€™s what Iā€™d do if re-starting home printing. Note that they are claimed to have quite good longevity and tech characteristics despite the mention of short term ā€œgraphicsā€. Good luck!

What I observed is the opposite. While I always had problems with cleaning the clogged heads of my former epson dye inkjet printer, with the pigment ink I can stop printing for more than 3 months (I had to due to moving to another location last year) and not even one nozzle is congested. While this is not a representative test, I generally observe the pigment ink being much less of a pain, but of course it may be not the ink but the printer that makes the difference.

And about cost, I think for economical and especially ecological reasons one should consider third party suppliers that deliver ink in the native packaging: bottles.

Thanks all!

I decided to go Pirate (dye).
No wonder, since an original set would cost me 1,099 SEK, containing 55 ml.
The pirate set cost me 380 SEK and contains 96 ml.

I am just now checking if I can spot a difference between them :slight_smile:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Make sure you a print in the sun to test fading! Lots of the inks look great out of the printer, but fade way too quickly.

Yep. That is why I am intrigued by pigment inks :slight_smile:

That might be difficult during winter in Sweden :wink: .

Sorry, Sweden winter does not computeā€¦ I live in Southern California :wink: