_DSC0183.NEF.xmp (14.8 KB)

1 Like

A crop and geometry changed a bit, then made it shadowier. RawTherapee-5.4

_DSC0206.NEF.pp3 (11.1 KB)

2 Likes

#3:

_DSC0206.NEF.xmp (6.7 KB)

1 Like

Made these lights into hot coals with RawTherapee-5.4.

_DSC0320.NEF.pp3 (11.0 KB)

1 Like

and the final one:

_DSC0320.NEF.xmp (5.1 KB)

Thanks again for providing the images. It was fun to do the editing.

1 Like

@ChicagoCameraslinger Like what you did with 0183. :slight_smile: I have time for one: 0115.

1 PhotoFlow β†’ linear Rec.2020 (no clipping) β†’ lens corrections.
2 gmic β†’ interpolate unwanted pixels β†’ brighten β†’ equalize (copy) β†’ blend the two β†’ smooth (guided) β†’ increase chroma β†’ sharpen (tone) β†’ resize β†’ sharpen (edge) β†’ edit #2: add thinner frame.

2 Likes

Nice images. Had a go at the first one using only RT:

1 Like

This is so much fun! I love seeing all the different ways people will process a shot!

1 Like

Crop to de-emphasize the foreground street surface, and some curve shenanigans. I purposely crushed the shadows to frame the storefront.

Nice images!

1 Like

_DSC0320.NEF.xmp (4.6 KB)

_DSC0206.NEF.xmp (4.1 KB)

_DSC0183.NEF.xmp (9.6 KB)

_DSC0115.NEF.xmp (7.7 KB)

1 Like

For me, Photoflow was a far more suitable programme for this image than RT.
Tried to give cinematic look inspired from Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies… Dark Knight Rises!

_DSC0320.jpg.pfi (49.6 KB)

Edit: Here is second one in the similar vein:

_DSC0206.jpg.pfi (44.1 KB)

2 Likes

For this image I found RT 5.4 a perfect match, in the sense that I could easily get the look that I wanted. Which is - a shaft of light, colour and life making its way through overbearing iron structure and creeping darkness. :wink:

_DSC0115.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

5 Likes

_DSC0115.NEF.pp3 (12.6 KB)

_DSC0183.NEF.pp3 (12.2 KB)

3 Likes

darktable: _DSC0115.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)

darktable: _DSC0183.NEF.xmp (6.4 KB)

darktable: _DSC0320.NEF.xmp (5.3 KB)

4 Likes

@msd Nice intimate crops and tones.

1 Like

My second try for _DSC0183.NEF done in Darktable :slight_smile:

_DSC0183.NEF.xmp (42.0 KB)
I’ve recovered the highlights with the reconstruction in Lch and blended with original at 75%

1 Like

Here is an attempt inspired by architectural photography of Joel Tjintjelaar !

Just used Multiply and Screen blend modes with Layer masks and Gradient tool in GIMP. Here is the process:

1. Used Nufraw to convert to BW
  2. Duplicate the layer twice, change the top layer blending mode to Multiply or Screen. Add a white Layer mask and use Gradient tool to cut out some part.
  3. Apply the mask to image. Again put white layer mask, apply the gradient tool to cut out some more parts of the top layer.
  4. Repeat till you have isolated only the part that you want to darken/lighten. Adjust the tonality by Levels or Curves tool and merge down.
  5. Repeat step 2 to 4 till done.
6 Likes

My take of 0115 was a rush job with simplicity in mind. I mean I never use equalize but it worked. Now for 0183, which I had fun experimenting on for the past 2 weeks.

1 PhotoFlow β†’ linear Rec.2020 (no clipping) β†’ lens corrections β†’ WB (direct sunlight).
2 gmic β†’ make masks (sky) using various thresholds.
3 gimp β†’ make master mask using masks and original.
4 gmic β†’ brighten (copy) β†’ soften and refine m mask β†’ blend in sky from original β†’ add contrast β†’ sharpen (tone) β†’ resize β†’ sharpen (edge).

PS I forgot to deal with the fringing where the buildings and sky meet.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

I really like what you did with it! So happy to hear you’ve been having fun with it!

I should release a lakefront set next…:thinking:

Please do. I like vicarious tourism ! :wink:

1 Like